Anas Acuta - early 80s - better than new

Sea Kayaking for sale and wanted adverts
Yellerbelly

Anas Acuta - early 80s - better than new

Post by Yellerbelly »

Bought from original owner and renovated 12+ months ago.

Original shell sanded back, repaired, refinished, foot bar removed. Original external decals destroyed unfortunately. No internal label so not totally sure of age but has the wonky tail.

Added:
12mm taped external seam
Deck lines and shock cord using soft pad eyes.
Closed cell foam bulkheads, front and rear with screw in waterproof hatches
Closed cell foam block supporting rear deck in back hatch
Adjustable seat - attached by velcro - cast from a broader seat than original
Custom adjustable backband using ratchet strips and stainless bolts to custom bracket
No foot pegs, set front bulkhead for my leg length
Keel strip

£800

A beautiful kayak. Needs using.

Based in Lincolnshire but member of Rutland Canoe Club. Potentially making trip to Scottish Borders before summer.

(Plus the bits I took out and a 1980s spray deck to fit the boat but you've got to be skinny)

. . . . Ben

charleston14

Re: Anas Acuta - early 80s - better than new

Post by charleston14 »

Replacement “close approximation“ decals are available, just not from Valley. They are not replicas as they are not geometrically the same, being drawn from a photo, Just an attempt to preserve the original graphics as these older boats get repaired. Note I did ask Valley first.

Last edited by charleston14 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I'm trying to remember what the decals looked like on one I saw in the early 1970s, but they were nothing like that.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Nice boat

Jon352

Post by Jon352 »

This is my early/mid '70s boat

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

These are the decals I removed from the back deck.
The "Anas Acuta" label was completely bleached out. I'd definitely buy one of the replacements if I was keeping it.

I can't remember what the original owner said about when he bought it. I could be from the 70s. I wonder whether it was a second as there were quite a few bubbles in the gelcoat just above the seam.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

I said above that all the stuff I took out comes with it but the old 'thigh braces' went on the fire! Brutal!!

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Jon352 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am
This is my early/mid '70s boat

It's great how original your kayak is. I felt I didn't have the option to keep the old decals once I started the repairs in bright new gelcoat.
The black gelcoat seam on yours even looks complete. I think mine started to chip off within weeks.
. . . . Ben

Jon352

Post by Jon352 »

Ben, Mine is in remarkably good condition for its age. I've replaced the footrest and deck fittings, fitted a better seat (original kept for re-fit if required) and that's about it. The join seam is entirely intact, but not entirely attached - it's loose in places but I haven't got round to sorting it out yet. There was no sign of thigh bars on mine.

More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/camwader_ ... 7724573980

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Jon,
Yours has no pigment in the gelcoat. Was this a more expensive light weight option?

The main thing is you use it. I'd like to think someone would take mine back to the west side of Jura. Glengarrisdale Bay.

Jon352

Post by Jon352 »

Ben, I've seen photos of several early Anas Acutas in clear gel coat, I think it was probably the base option. Mine is nice and light at 18kg, but I put that down to it having no bulkheads, hatches or any other modern accoutrements. Mine was out on the river last Sunday - I took the Angmagssalik last time.
Your refurb does look good.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Jon, Just had a look at your Flickr album. Worth more than the 44 views IMHO. What a beautiful boat! Been tempted by the AA if I wasn’t building the Shrike.
Growing old disgracefully

Jon352

Post by Jon352 »

Beryl, I'm not sure how Flickr manage their statistics - individual photos within the album have more views, but still not that many. My model kayaks, including a Shrike, get a lot more interest. A full size Shrike is on my list of retirement projects. In Flickr, when you're on the album top page, there's a 'back to albums list' in the top left hand corner, if you click there you can see all my albums, many of which have sea kayaking content.

This link is to my 1/6th scale Shrike album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/camwader_ ... 7050616605

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

:) Feel like my thread has been hijacked :)

We are trying to sell my yellow Anas Acuta here.
Not Jon's brown one,
Not Adam's blue one,
and not Pete's orange one (that undercuts mine by £100s but is at least on another thread).
And we are not selling Cindy Doll seal hunters!

Go start your own "I love Anas Acuta" thread.

This one. . . . .

.... . Ben :)

Jon352

Post by Jon352 »

Sorry about that - the good thing is your original advert is still at the top of the thread and will be the first thing anyone sees when they click on the for sale page. Most people won't bother scrolling down to the rest of the bumf.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

No worries, Jon. I think anyone who gets down this far will realise the AA owners are a bunch of enthusiastic geeks. (and being a geek is cool these days, apparently)

And they will also see the next 2 photos of the 1970s/80s Gul spraydeck that comes with it and what the footwell looks like. Foam masik attached with velcro so can be adjusted.

. . . . Ben

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Beryl wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:27 am
Jon, Just had a look at your Flickr album. Worth more than the 44 views IMHO. What a beautiful boat! Been tempted by the AA if I wasn’t building the Shrike.
Beryl, your Shrike would benefit from a good looking tail. . . . . . Ben :¬)

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Yellerbelly wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Original shell sanded back, repaired, refinished....
Ben, at the risk of further hijacking, I would love to see details on how you did this, what the original state was etc. I have an HM that could do with a work over. Any chance of a post on the restoration?
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Can do. Must have chosen the worst time possible to actually sell it!

Most of the advice on how to sand back and repolish glassfibre was gleaned from Mr. Crowshurst's Nordkapp refurb, elsewhere on this forum, though there are pages of entries to sift through.

Leave it with me. . . . . Ben

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Mr. Crowshurst's Nordkapp refurb, elsewhere on this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16330

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Before refurb.

The worst damage was the deck part of the nose was almost hanging off when I drilled out the Plastic Padding repair (see link above). Think the resin pour into the end in the factory should have spread up into the deck but failed. There was one hole in the chines which had been repaired plus a couple of holes in the deck, one was a drain for a foot pump. Just needed patching and matching gelcoat.
The original layup is very solid and the gelcoat quite thick. I've previously sanded back my 2001 red Nordkapp Jubilee which had gone orangey-brown and the gelcoat isn't as thick.
The gelcoat had been ground off on the keel, so added a keel strip. I didn't try to completely sand out the scratches on the hull, just took it back to the original colour.

The shock cords had been threaded through holes in the deck and knotted then covered with resin and chopped strand mat on the inside.

The two wooden canoe paddle handles were 'glued' under the front deck and bolted to the side of the seat as thigh braces. Removing all this involved cutting up the lumps of resin with a dremel and a cutting disk and getting medieval with a chisel. Skinned knuckles and much swearing.

The fixings on the foot bar were rusted solid so had to saw off the bolts (aluminium bar + steel bolt + brass wing nut + salt water = recipe for corrosion!). Tore out the foot bar brackets off.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Thanks for that, and the link to Nicks excellent thread too.

Specifically, I was interested in your gelcoat restoration. I have a few bad star cracks etc., and was wondering did you just cut back and polish or actually grind off (most, all in parts) and re-coat, then sculpt, shape and polish? I'm torn between just paddling as-is (perfectly seaworthy) or trying to go for a nearly new look.

Love the Anas btw, sadly wrong place and time for me, but sure to sell. Best just place a new 'ad down the road I guess.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

The layup is very solid and the gelcoat quite thick. Even with all the chipping out of the old mods there was no damage to the original structure. I think they used quality materials back then.

I got a very good colour match to BS Golden Yellow from East Coast Glassfibre. Maybe VCP used BS pigments back then.

This was one of the worst gelcoat repairs. Only a few other star cracks. There's some cracking in the gelcoat on the other side but couldn't get a decent photo. I'm not an absolute perfectionist. Keep going round the boat until you reach your level of acceptable defects. It is a 40 year old kayak.

I've tried grinding off the old gelcoat to change the colour on the Nordkapp and got it wrong. Didn't like red with a pale blue cockpit and seat so changed it to red and black. Used regular gelcoat with some added wax and it didn't 'flatten'. (?) Still a lot of sanding back and repolishing when I can be bothered.

I think the way to do it would be to spray flowcoat. I have another potential project, an AA like Jon's above with clear gelcoat where you can't disguise the repairs with matching gelcoat. Thinking of spraying the whole thing with coloured flowcoat.

These things will outlive all of us. And are useable as long as someone is prepared to spend their time on them. If you think about it every bit of glassfibre and polyethylene you have ever paddled still exists somewhere in the environment.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

If you think about it every bit of glassfibre and polyethylene you have ever paddled still exists somewhere in the environment.
Too true, mostly at the bottom of the garden or back of the garage in my case
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Return to “Sea Kayaking Gear For Sale”