Entry Level Surfski Wanted!

Sea Kayaking for sale and wanted adverts
Spengler

Entry Level Surfski Wanted!

Post by Spengler »

Hi There,
I'm really interested in getting hold of a second hand entry level surf ski for a bit of touring etc. Because of where I live, my Ideal would probably be an Epic V5 or V7 but would consider other lighter skis.
Many Thanks
Joe

Fozzy

Re: Entry Level Surfski Wanted!

Post by Fozzy »

I was asking a similar thing last year. Coming from sea kayaking I wanted a "beginner" ski. Please bear in mind stability in ski terms is somewhat different to sea kayak stability. What they class as stable is like sitting on a log!
I have an Epic 16x kayak so wanted something that would be a like an Epic V8 Sport as the basic V8 was too similar to the 16x. I bought a Knysna Racing Genius CLK less than a year old for £550 and love it.

I was pointed in the direction of the following facebook page where I posted a wanted ad and received a reply for the exact ski I was after in less than 30 minutes.

Racing Canoe Clubs Sales and Wants.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/175548469594046/

Spengler

Post by Spengler »

Hi Fozzy,
Many thanks for all the help. I'll have a look at the link and see what I can find!

Just to clarify, are you saying that the Epic 16x is similar in stability to the V8? I have been advised that going from a sea kayak to something like the V7 or V8 wouldn't be too steep a learning curve but would love to know your thoughts as you seem to have come from the same background. (I'm 6'2" and around 14.5 stone.)

All the best!!!

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

The V8 hull is very similar to the Epic 18X which I found slightly less stable than the Epic 16x, the most stable is the 18x Sport. I bought the 16x as I didn't want a Taran and also wanted a fast 16ft ish sea kayak, as I find in the real world they're just as fast as 18s but more versatile.
When I wanted my first ski I tried a V8 and whilst it was a little less stable then my 16x the difference was still to close for what I wanted. I think the V8 Sport would have been perfect but couldn't find any at my very low budget.
The V8 is lovely. The V6 is the ski version of the 16x and has the same hull, it's also more touring oriented.
I agree coming from sea kayaking to a V6, 7 or 8 is a pretty manageable learning curve with no nasty surprises. The V8 will be the biggest difference but still pretty straightforward. Probably depends on your sea kayak. When you want to progress the V8 will have a ready market.
My Genesis CLK is far less stable than the V8 and I still haven't mastered it, but that's what I wanted. You won't go wrong with a V8, but as ever try before you buy.
If you're in the SW England or S Wales you're welcome to try both my 16X and my CLK

Spengler

Post by Spengler »

Thanks again for all of your help and advice. MUCH appreciated! I live down in west Cornwall so I have arranged to see Jim at Epic in Tiverton to demo a few skis so hopefully I'll be on the water this spring. Best Wishes!

Return to “Sea Kayaking Gear For Sale”