P&H Cetus MV vs Tiderace Xcape; how do they compare?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Bob Turner

P&H Cetus MV vs Tiderace Xcape; how do they compare?

Post by Bob Turner »

Hi all,
I am after a sea kayak with good speed but also manoeuvrable. I know the Cetus quite well but I dont know how an Xplore would compare in terms of stability, speed, agility and rolling.
I would appreciate thoughts from anyone who has experience of both.
thanks Bob

Chris Bolton

Re: P&H Cetus MV vs Tiderace Xcape; how do they compare?

Post by Chris Bolton »

I don't have experience of either, but when I was looking for the same thing, the three boats I had on my shortlist were those two, plus the Rockpool GT. I bought a GT and have been very happy with it; you might add it to you list?.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Xplore - or Xcape? You've noted them both. I've (briefly) paddled a Cetus and rather liked it - I was playing around in the race at Heston and found it responsive and playful. Although as I'm too big for it, that test went nowhere!

The Xplore X I have these days is fast, responsive and has massive load capacity. It's by no means a playboat, and I'd say it's marginally less "responsive" than the Cetus. I've also had an Xcape X and liked it a lot, but I prefer the Xplore.

Now, all this said, I like the Tiderace boats because they fit me and I find them very comfortable. When my wife was researching a possible boat change, we had a number of demo sessions and I was surprised she didn't like any of the T/race boats she tried - but was very taken with a Valley Etain. I've tried the Etain, and found it exceptionally uncomfortable. She said it was the most comfortable of the 10 or so boats she'd tried up to that point.

So, by all means get opinions - but you really have to try everything you are considering. And perhaps add the Etain to your list.

Bob Turner

Post by Bob Turner »

Hi MikeB
I meant Xcape (sorry - putting Xplore in was a mistake on my part).
Thx for picking it up.
regards Bob

PS Chris B - Thx. I think I am focused on just the Cetus/Xcape, but I will look at some GT reviews to check.