Lomo Boots Are there any Alternatives?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayakbiker

Lomo Boots Are there any Alternatives?

Post by kayakbiker »

My Lomo boots are nearly done but currently Lomo are out of stock in most sizes and they have been for a few weeks now.
For anyone that has not tried the Lomo boots they are great as the hard sole is great when walking on rocky beaches.

Just wondering does anyone knows of any neoprene boot alternatives to Lomo with hard soles .

Cheers

pugwash

Re: Lomo Boots Are there any Alternatives?

Post by pugwash »

The shoes are out of stock as well, Father Christmas was well upset.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Try dive suppliers, I seem to recall they go for the hard soled neoprene approach more than kayak/canoe suppliers (Lomo was started by divers).

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

Jim wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:35 am
Try dive suppliers, I seem to recall they go for the hard soled neoprene approach more than kayak/canoe suppliers (Lomo was started by divers).
Wearing outer shoes over fabric/neoprene/latex socks is a bit of a niche within the diving world - most use suits with in-built rubber boots. The most popular solution for external shoes is a pair of Converse trainers, because they're low enough profile that you can get your fins on, whilst still having a hard sole for walking around. Otherwise, you're stuck with surfers' neoprene bootees as anything else is too bulky to fit into your fins. (You can get much more rugged diving boots, but I've never known anyone use them as they're too bulky and inflexible. I guess they're aimed more at commercial divers who might need toe-protection etc. I couldn't imagine using them for paddling.)

For kayaking, I use a pair of Lidl Crivit-branded zip-up surf boots, which have a reasonably thick rubber sole which I find comfy enough on sharp stones. They last forever too as they're easy to turn inside-out, so you can rinse/dry them thoroughly. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them on sale for many years and I've never found anything else that works so well.

Jim

Post by Jim »

PlymouthDamo wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:54 am
Jim wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:35 am
Wearing outer shoes over fabric/neoprene/latex socks is a bit of a niche within the diving world - most use suits with in-built rubber boots.
Come to think of it, the boots I was picturing were built into my sister's dive drysuit, I just assumed they would be available separately since she had them glued in custom?

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Highlandcow

Post by Highlandcow »

For warm climates I wear Peak Neoprene Zip Boot

https://www.peakuk.com/index.php?route= ... duct_id=53

I find my pair (7-years-old or more?) are quite slippery and I do feel pebbles through their soles. However, my soles look quite different to the photo on the Peak link above.

My Palm Gradient boots have Vibram soles and are very grippy on wet rocks and I’d welcome a manufacturer to come up with Vibram-soled neoprene boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlandcow

Post by Highlandcow »

Charleston: how do you rate the Gul boot? The tread looks quite aggressive and the sole might be thicker than the Peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

The Gul, All purpose water sports 5mm neoprene boots are brilliant. The sole isn't exactly 'stiff' but it is quite thick and ridged for walking on slippy surfaces and stopping the rocks and pebbles from hurting through the soles.
I get mine from Go Outdoors and with a discount card they are £25 a pair. I have just worn out a pair after 5 years and have replaced them with the exact same ones.
They have hard wearing zips for easy access and the zips lasted without a problem and the only reason I needed to replace them was because the soles had worn a bit thin. I wear them directly over my goretex drysuit feet and my drysuit has remained undamaged. If you have latex booties on you drysuit, go up a size in overboots.

Cut and paste the link below to find them on the GO website.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/s:gul+boot ... =gul+boots

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

Thanks for the alternative recommendations.
For information Lomo reports that they expect most boots to be back in stock in Febuary

I might just try those Gul boots though

Thanks

Sabre13

Post by Sabre13 »

Neil Pryde HC Hiking boot ( not hiking boots they are watersport boots)
Neil Pryde Race line boots
Some of the Aqualung boots have harder soles
But don't go for the Typhoon rock boots as i have heard of instances where the protruding lip on the heel has caught on the seat when capsizing

simon64

Post by simon64 »

Waiting on some of these

Mike Holgate

Post by Mike Holgate »

Another vote for dive boots. Bought mine years ago - still going strong......tough as old.....boots😊

pugwash

Post by pugwash »

Shoes back in stock, just ordered some.

Lomo Watersport

Post by Lomo Watersport »

Hello, we are happy to report that we will have a the Lomo Aqua Boot back in stock for the 10th of March, 2020. Thanks for your patience. Team Lomo

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent »

The boot I use are phenominal for quality and comfort. Online I read that some people were using them while they snow blow, so I figured they'd be good for spring paddling. Looks like they're phasing them out, but it's worth checking the other products, of which I have some. It's a U.S. company called NRS and I use their BOUNDERY SHOES. Maybe some local store has them still in stock.

https://www.nrs.com/product/2308/nrs-bo ... s-closeout
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !