Advice request re strong single blade paddles

One blade only
HughdeIongh

Advice request re strong single blade paddles

Post by HughdeIongh » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:43 pm

This is a slightly unusual request for advice on really strong single blade / Canadian paddles.

I am a sea kayaker, hence using this forum, but also help a disability sailing group. As part of our safety cover, we have safety RIBs, and they each have a single blade paddle on them, both in case the engine stops, and when levering up a dinghy in case it capsizes fully and the centreboard falls out. We have never had a dinghy capsize, and our centreboards are always secured, but an extra method just in case, as safety is paramount.

We need to replace our paddles, and we want to replace with the strongest available, weight not a concern.

Any advice on the strongest and most robust single blade paddles out there?

With many thanks

Hugh, Chesil Sailability

Mal Grey

Re: Advice request re strong single blade paddles

Post by Mal Grey » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:54 pm

I can't quite picture how you're using these, but I would say a standard Ainsworth C100 with an alloy shaft is pretty indestructible. Horrible to paddle with, but as strong as anything else I could think of.

John K

Post by John K » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Werner Nantahala are pretty much bomb proof.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm

I would carry a paddle such as Mal Grey suggests, and an additional item to use as a lever in place of the centreboard, such as a length of timber of suitable width and length. A paddle is not suitable for that kind of use, and may damage the centreboard slot as well as itself.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:23 pm

I'm also not convinced about jamming a paddle in a centreboard slot to lever on, if you have jib sheets just throw one across the hull and pull on that, if the boats are una rigged have the safety boats carry some bits of rope that can be tied to a shroud or thwart instead of using jib sheets. I very rarely made it onto a centreboard when righting a capsized dinghy, they usually came up before I got that far, even when completely inverted, but every boat behaves differently.

As for the strongest canoe paddle, Endless River Phantom is a very tough paddle blade (possibly solid carbon fibre) which would probably stand up to the task, but the shaft (hollow carbon fibre) might not - I wouldn't want to stand on the shaft with the blade held in a vice or something...

HughdeIongh

Post by HughdeIongh » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Many thanks to everyone for their replies, and I will look at all of these.

A paddle in the centreboard casing is one of the standard methods of getting an inverted boat up if the centreboard has dropped out, and yes, there are of course other methods as well, as you say, with jib sheets, shrouds, etc. For us, speed is essential in case anyone is still underneath, and with the boats we use, which don't have shrouds, this is the quickest method. The suggestion of a strong piece of wood is also a good one.

With thanks for your collective wisdom!

Hugh