Reed Aquatherm Spraydeck Sizing for P&H Scorpio LV

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
lizzie3

Reed Aquatherm Spraydeck Sizing for P&H Scorpio LV

Post by lizzie3 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:26 pm

I'll be buying a P&H Scorpio LV soon and am looking at buying a Reed spraydeck for it. The biggest draw to the Reed Aquatherm is its compactness for travelling.

Looking at Reed's sizing charts, I'm a little confused. The Scorpio LV cockpit is quoted as being 76.5 x 38.5cm. This would put it closest to the 'low volume' spraydeck size (but is still technically too small for this). But 'keyhole plastic' mentions P&H kayaks as examples. I assume because I need it for the LV this might not be applicable? I just wanted to check with anyone who has experience of Aquatherm spraydecks.

Another question: how much do these spraydecks stretch? I'm going on an expedition abroad where only nylon spraydecks are available so taking your own is advised, however the cockpits of the boats we'll be using will be either 86 x 48cm or 79 x 45cm (both out of range of the 'low volume' spraydeck).

Should I choose a size that is a compromise between the two? Or will this just mean the spraydeck fits neither kayak!

charleston14

Re: Reed Aquatherm Spraydeck Sizing for P&H Scorpio LV

Post by charleston14 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:50 pm

You can get custom fit decks from reed if you want to be sure of a perfect fit but I suggest speaking to them first as I’m sure a Scorpio Lv will be a deck they have done before.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:05 pm

want a used chilcheater deck in good nick ? if so pm me dimensions you need for cockpit and for waist

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:57 pm

I hope you can get something to fit but i never had much luck with the aquatherm spraydeck. Despite purchasing the right size for my Delphin it would always slip off the combing when rolling. It was much tighter than neoprene to get on too. Ok in nice flat conditions but a real pain if in bumpier conditions and you needed the deck on quick.

I have heard that these spraydecks are more suited to composites than plastic boats and i do wonder if thats why I had trouble with mine.
I guess other people may have
had better experiences with them though.

idp

Post by idp » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 pm

It is worth speaking to Reed directly, I have found them helpful.
I have previously sent them a template of a cockpit and they matched this to a standard spraydeck size.