Virgo v Delphin

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
NTR

Virgo v Delphin

Post by NTR » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Anyone who's paddled a P&H Virgo able to offer a comparison to the Delphin? The Virgo looks interesting for rockhopping/surf play (a stratos competitor?) but seems to have less rocker than the longer Delphin. All insights from any owned/demoed Virgos appreciated.

simon64

Re: Virgo v Delphin

Post by simon64 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 am

I can inky compare with the Stratos S, the virgo paddles straighter and faster but is still very agile especially when edged, is about the same stability wise and feels a bit more sea kayak than tourer, and is a better bet for trips that may involve going in a straight line for a while, the hatches are much better than the Dagger brand ones.
I have replaced my Stratos with a Virgo and am considering demoing a glass Aries as well.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:02 am

Greetings NTR, I have been paddling a Virgo several times a week for the last 10 weeks. I have also paddled an Aries since they first came out and paddled a Delphin for several years. I really like the Virgo. It is an ideal allround day touring kayak but is easily capable of carrying weekend camping gear. As mentioned above it tracks straight but turns tightly on edge. It is easy to maintain a touring speed of about 6/7km/hr. It handles superbly in F5 winds with waves up to 1.5m. It is very comfortable, it is remarkably stable and makes a great boat to coach my 6 year old grandson in his Jersey Junior sea kayak. In CLX is is considerably lighter than my performance kevlar Aries with keel strip! It even comes with mounts for a kayak sailing mast. The version I have does not have a rear day hatch and I have not missed that at all. It also has a skudder which works really well, especially if you might ever add a sailing rig. If it has any vices, I have not found them yet. I have just realized that since I borrowed it, I have not paddled my Aries at all. However, if you are mainly intertested in rockhopping/surf then the Delphin would be better.

Douglas

davek

Post by davek » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:47 pm

Virgo sounds interesting; any views on the weight carrying ability please? Concerned I might be a bit close to the 100kg limit at 92ish!
Thanks

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:14 am

Hi Davek, One of my friends who tried the Virgo is 95kg. He had no problems whatsoever. He thououghly enjoyed it to the extent thsat he is considering buying one to partner his Scorpio HV to use for day paddles. He did not appear to be sitting really low in the water in it so I suspect there was plenty in reserve for some gear. However, my experience of as lot of different kayak designs is that they become very directional if overloaded because they do not respond to edging in the same way. I used to be over 90 kg and I fitted in a Cetus LV no problems. Though it paddled great without a load of camping gear, once fully loaded, I was actually less manouverable in the Cetus LV than in a Cetus MV with the same amount of gear.

You need to try it! :)

Douglas

davek

Post by davek » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:29 am

Thanks Douglas - very useful. Need to find somewhere to try B2B with Stratos L, Scorpio MV and maybe Delphin 155. Could also try the weight loss bit 😊

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 am

Have a chat with Whitewater who are in Shepperton and have all the ones you are interested in and can arrange for test paddles.
https://www.whitewaterthecanoecentre.co ... s-21-c.asp

Rog.