Valley Etain in Wind and Bulkheads

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayakbiker

Valley Etain in Wind and Bulkheads

Post by kayakbiker » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi
Im very interested in the Valley Etain and while I have had a demo in the 17.7 I forgot to look at the bulkheads. Can anyone advise if they are still fitted with plastic bulkheads or do they now use foam. I have read on this forum that the plastic ones can be prone to leaking. Is it still a common problem .
Also how are the Etains in windy lumpy conditions especially the 17.5. Is the 17.5.a similar size to the MV Scorpio with the 17.7 nearer the HV.

Thanks

rhysie

Re: Valley Etain in Wind and Bulkheads

Post by rhysie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:56 am

I’m guessing that you are talking about a RM Etain. I have a few Valley RM kayaks and I think the plastic bulkheads are much better. The plastic bulkheads in my kayaks are welded and don’t leak. My Sirona RM has a plastic bulkheads at the front and behind the cockpit but the rear bulkhead between the day hatch and rear hatch is foam and has come away from the hull. Luckily my day hatch and rear hatch covers don’t leak.

kayakbiker

Re: Valley Etain in Wind and Bulkheads

Post by kayakbiker » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Rhysie
Yes it is the RM kayaks so thanks very much for the info.
I've only ever had P and H RM kayaks which have had foam bulkheads. Thankfully I never experienced any leaks with them either. Its good to know thst plastic bulkheads should be just as good if not better than foam.
Thanks