Skeg Stuck Lowered

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
WillG

Skeg Stuck Lowered

Post by WillG » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi all,

Despite searching several topics on stuck skegs and watching a few videos I haven't been able to resolve my stuck skeg and so would be grateful for any advice please.

I have a P&H Sirius and during a month being kept covered up in the garden, enforced by building work in the garage, the skeg has decided to lower itself and stay there. I've taken the grub screw out of the slider but the slider itself will not come loose, meaning i can't pull the skeg all the way out and then take the wire out.

There is nothing visible blocking anything, no obvious kinks in the wire and no sign of damage. Any ideas for how to remove the slider? Brute force? Any other suggestions for why the skeg is lowered and won't go back in?

All advice welcome.

Thanks.

JB-NL

Re: Skeg Stuck Lowered

Post by JB-NL » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:36 am

Some Pics might help?
JB
--==Never go faster than your Angel can fly==--

WillG

Post by WillG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 am

I don't know if there is much to see here but others with more experience may spot something. I've left the grub screw in the slider just so you can see it. I've pulled the remaining wire out the other end but it's the slider that is stuck. Is there something else i'm supposed to be taking off to release it? I'd expected it just to slide off the wire once the screw was out.

As can be seen the skeg is lowered almost 100% which is fine for going straight but anything else is a bit of a chore! I'm hoping someone will spot something very obvious.

Thanks.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:12 am

It will slide off, when I removed mine some years ago the slider was stuck and needed some brute force to remove it. I'm guessing somehow the skeg was dropped and then someone tried to push it back instead of using the slider in causing a kink in the wire somewhere, hence wire is stuck.

WillG

Post by WillG » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:40 pm

All fixed. Thanks for the quick reply.

Got a decent pair of grips on it, had a few stern words and the slider did indeed...slide off. There was a nasty kink about six inches above the skeg but i managed to straighten it out. Cleaned it up, sprayed on some furniture polish and it's a good as new. Even went for a paddle this afternoon and it's working fine. Think i'll make this a more regular thing just to keep it from seizing up.

Thanks again.