Glue for fibre glass?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jonathan.

Glue for fibre glass?

Post by Jonathan. » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:25 pm

I’ve damaged my VE paddle, and have split the male end of a split.

It’s a glass shaft and look as though it could easily be glued. I was going to use Araldite but my online search makes me think it’s unsuitable for the job, and all I can find is information about large scale industrial uses.

So I’m hoping someone can recommend a glue that will do the job and can be bought in small quantities.

Many thanks
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Chris Bolton

Re: Glue for fibre glass?

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Araldite is too viscous for glassfibre, I would use West 105 epoxy (it's useful stuff to have about, I usually mix 6ml at a time (5ml + 1ml) and the pack lasts years). Don't just try to glue one side of the split to the other, enlarge the split to a V groove and laminate in some glassfibre strands, then (wearing a mask) sand it to shape when it's set.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:01 am

It may be worth contacting VE to see what they are able to do. I know that they have stopped trading for the present but believe that they may be available for repairs....possibly!!

Rog.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks Chris. Will look for West 105, though it does sound a very tricky repair; the two halves are machined to such tight dimensions.

Have followed your suggestion, Rog, and emailed Stu of VE Paddles. If he can sort it out then I shall be relieved.

But perhaps there’s somebody else who can be relied on to do a good job? Recommendations welcome, please
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:35 am

Jonathan, I'm not familiar with the details of the joint on VE paddles. Would it matter if you built up the thickness on the inside of the tube? If the tolerances are tight you might be OK just running West 105 through the split. The stress on the male joint is lower at the end, if you'd split the female end it would be much harder to fix. Is the split along the length and is the situation that caused the split likely to happen again?

For ideas on who you could take it to, where do you live / paddle?

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:50 am

For a repair, try Christopher Hobson at Design Composites, he seems to be able to do good repairs on carbon paddles, or Paul Knight at PK paddlesport (I know he does boat repairs, not sure about paddles).

If the spigot is split it might be possible to remove the spigot and glue a new one in (araldite is suitable for that), may be very difficult to remove the spigot without damaging the shaft though. Could you find/make a smaller diameter spigot you could glue inside the existing one and reinforce it from within?

MJTWA

Post by MJTWA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:33 pm

I had a similar problem with a wing paddle, the male part of the spigot was crushed and had about 3 or 4 splits in it. I filled the spigot with a combination of resin and glass beads and then hand sanded it to fit into the female part (that took a long time!).

I then carefully drilled a hole vertically through the resin, to enable drainage and heat transfer (it gets hot in Aus, especially if you leave the paddle in the car in the sun). I'm not sure if it would ever have been an issue, but wanted to be sure.

I've had no issues since, the only minor drawback was my enthusiastic sanding caused the end 1.5 cm to be a little smaller in diameter than the rest of the spigot. That hasn't caused any problems

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:48 am

Great advice folks - many thanks.

I particularly like Jim’s advice, and I’m inclined to glue a 100mm length of 25mm tubing inside the damaged end.

I can get hold of aluminium but would prefer tubing that matches the glass shaft so I wonder if anyone can tell me where in the UK I might buy a short section?

Alternatively, an eBay seller is offering clear acrylic tubing. But that’s a material with which I’m unfamiliar so I’d welcome thoughts about its suitability (strength, stiffness, will glue stick and so on)?

============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:36 am

Had a second read of your post, Jim, and https://designcomposites.com/ seems just what I need.

I’ve emailed them to ask what they recommend - and can supply - for a spigot.

Big thanks
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:27 am

Looking at the split, I agree a tube inside is the way to go. It looks to me like carbon fibre, not glass? You can buy carbon fibre tubes from may places, such as here. Buy the largest diameter that fits, and if it's not a close enough fit, make one saw cut down the length and temporarily push something inside to expand it. Provided you put the saw cut 90º away from the split it will be fine. Make sure both surfaces to be bonded are well sandpapered. Araldite will be fine for glueing in a tube. Wrap electrical tape round the outside to stop the split opening up when you push the tube in. Use a slightly longer length than you need, so that you have something to hold when you fit it in, coat it with glue and twist it as it goes in. When cured, trim the end off.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Excellent advice, Chris - thankyou.

I’m pretty sure the shaft is glass - at least, glass is what Stu of VE Paddles recommended and glass is what it says on his invoice. But I’m guessing carbon will make a good repair so I may well buy from your eBay seller.

With luck, I’ll have it finished in time for this weekend’s EOSM when I believe you, too, are at AO.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 am

I spotted some braided carbon sleeves yesterday (whilst looking for other reinforcements), probably not appropriate for this application (I think the shaft will be glass, and expect the spigot would be too), but I wonder if for similar repairs it might be an option to wet out a length of sleeve, thread it onto a balloon, insert it into the spigot and then inflate the balloon to press the sleeve against the inside of the spigot whilst the resin cures. Would need to test if epoxy will burst a balloon, I would expect not, polyester probably would because it is dissolved in styrene which I would expect to attack the ballon. Maybe a nitrile glove instead of a balloon? I use them with epoxy and polyester with no issues.
https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/fab ... -20mm.html