Kayak trolleys

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Charlie1549

Kayak trolleys

Post by Charlie1549 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Currently doing a gcse project investigating kayak trolleys.
Please could people reply with the type of kayak trolley you used and what you thought was good and n=bad about it.
Thank you.

MikeB

Re: Kayak trolleys

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:47 pm

KCS - good: rugged and dependable. Bad: nothing.

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:58 pm

The prototype was build with aluminium tubing out of the scrap bin. The tubing, if not the wheels, would have transported the QEII though it wasn't too heavy.
https://canterburyseakayak.wordpress.com/t-bar-trolley/

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Eckla. Is fairly strong and folds well, there is a knack to strapping the boat on in a way that the trolley can't accidentally fold up in use which takes some figuring out and some people never work out, the plastic connector parts can break and getting hold of replacements is difficult and wheels with plain bearings whilst light and easy to maintain are less than ideal.

On the canoe sized Eckla I have successfully used barrow wheels with deep groove ball bearings inplace of the plain wheels it came with, but I never found a small wheel for the sea kayak trolley that could be adapted to use ball bearings, so I would suggest that is one specific area you might want to think hard about - you could probably make an entire project just around the wheels for the trolley given the number of options to consider - modifying an existing wheel (re-bore on lathe or make inserts to carry bearings), machining a wheel from scratch on lathe or mill, moulding a wheel from scratch, selecting bearings and shafts, not to mention a wide range of materials options for all of the above. And don't forget tyres, the inner tubes on the Eckla wheels are rubbish so room to improve there too...

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:41 pm

I have a C-Tug. It's light and strong, and the different parts will fit into various places in the boat, except the wheels take up a lot of space. The wheels have plain bearings, plastic on plastic, and that creates a lot of friction, so can be hard to pull with a fully loaded boat, and if you go too fast with a heavy load you can melt the axle sleeve.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 am

C tug
Light and strong but bulky, uses up a fair bit of space when broken down and put into the hatches.
Hard plastic wheels are rubbish over soft sand but the sandtakz wheels you can buy are pricy.

Plus it’s all more plastic in a world that could do with a lot less of it.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:41 pm

KCS - Expedition Trolly https://www.kayakcarriers.co.uk/product ... lled-tyres

For - very light, (3.2Kg with extension fitted, 3.0Kg without) packs into the boat without any problem, solid wheels are pucture proof, tool-free build and take down.
Against - not much. The wheels aren't particularly good on soft sand but are fine on everything else. Wheels are retained by lynch pins which are easy to use but also easy to loose! (however, a couple of spares come with the trolley, which is fine if you have them with you...)

C-Tug

For - Robust, captive strap, SandTrax wheels are good on soft sand. Large contact area for boat hull.Tool-free. Captive wheel locks won't get lost

Against -- It's big and very very heavy! (4.9 Kg with SandTrax wheels - I'm amazed that people have commented that a C-tug is light!!??) I can fit it all into the boat but wouldn't even consider it for a camping trip. Usually, I'll use it to get to the water then leave it in the car.

Previously used

WheelEez small kayak trolley. https://www.rosscastors.co.uk/wheeleez- ... -mini.html

For - Very light and compact, soft balloon tyres are excellent on soft sand and smooth gravel and roll reasonably well on hard surfaces, very quick to set up and take down. Fits into boat with a weeks camping kit.
Against - Tyres are very prone to puncture and replacement wheels are almost as expensive as the complete cart. Lynch pins to retain wheels (same issue as KCS)
So much sea - so little time to see it.

brian_m

Post by brian_m » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Lomo trolley
Pros : Cheap, robust, copes with rough terrain.
Cons : Too big - can't fit in hatches.

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 am

The talk of weight so I weighed one of our T-bar trolleys. Just under 2 kg. (1.9 kg) It all breaks down for easy stowing. The best part is cost. Simply the cost of wheels and an axle of some sort and a couple of down-pipe T pieces plus a bit if plastic pipe (from a builder's yard?). Disadvantage - you have to make it yourself.

There are a number of similar trolleys if you do some Googling but they are all unnecessarily more complicated. They lock the two sides together using twice as many parts. The key to the T-bar as per the link https://canterburyseakayak.wordpress.com/t-bar-trolley/ is that the 2 parts float to best suit the placement of the kayak. The two straps lock it on to the kayak and there are no complications as to how to fasten it.

pugwash

Post by pugwash » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 pm

C-tug
Possibly the best of a bad bunch, quite robust and will go through a large oval hatch without complete disassembly. The strap, done up as per instructions doesn’t slip. Quite easy to move fully loaded expedition kayak.

The old pneumatic wheels were terrible. The pins retaining the wheels work loose and wheels start to fall off axels. The kick stand rarely works.

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 pm

I now use c tug .had eckla and found it impossible to replace inner tube even with good tyre levers

Daker

Post by Daker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Personally I would say there is no trolley currently available on the UK market which truly fulfils what folk are looking for and I have owned or used most of the ones listed above and would not buy any of them for proper expedition use.

Most are too big to store easily, too heavy, too awkward to assemble, too many pieces to assemble (or lose), not rigid enough, not hard wearing enough, too expensive, or any combination of these.

Ideally any trolley should (to my mind) easily fit into a hatch or cockpit without taking up too much space, ideally be able to be put in last / taken out first so as to allow use without having to unpack the boat, assemble quickly with minimal extra pieces and be robust enough to transport a fully loaded 18' sea kayak without fear of collapsing. All of which is a big ask and one that manufactures have been unable to fully accomplish.

(No criticism of any particular brand intended and just my experience).