Sealing deck fittings

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
charleston14

Sealing deck fittings

Post by charleston14 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:34 pm

I’m adding some deck fittings to a fibreglass kayak using a bolt, washer and nyloc nut: what’s the best way to get a good watertight seal around the bolt? Slap on some resin to the underside of the deck, once the bolts are in place ?

PeterG

Re: Sealing deck fittings

Post by PeterG » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:03 pm

A4 stainless steel penny washer and rubber penny washer on the inside, you can get them cheaply on ebay, quite small ones will do like 20mm x 4mm hole, then you can take them off if necessary

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 am

I've often used a bit of silicone sealant around the edge of the fitting and backing pad or washer, but rubber washers work just as well in most locations and are less messy. Only time sealant will be better is if you have rough chopped strand internal finish but unless you have a really old boat this is not very likely because modern finishes are much smoother. Footrest tracks are fitted with rubber washers between the track and the hull, if you have an adjustable footrest and not a fixed plate.

nikity

Post by nikity » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm

rubber washers and some silicone will do perfect work. make sure that the silicon is appropriate for the materials you are working on..some silicons doesn't stick well if is unsuitable for the material that is gonna be repaired.

UKRGB Moderator

Post by UKRGB Moderator » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:29 am

Welcome to UKRGB, nikity, and thanks for your post - but please read The Rules if you want to avoid posts being deleted.

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Hello Moderators... please excuse me but what has the poster done wrong?... ok, .. guess I might also have to read the rules!!