Kayel Angmagssalik Restoration Project

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jon352

Kayel Angmagssalik Restoration Project

Post by Jon352 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I have just bought an old Kayel Angmagssalik restoration project which I found on Ebay.

There is no history available for the boat as it was found and sold on by a house clearance outfit - they had no luck selling it at car boot sales because nobody had the means to carry it away.

The boat is very solid and appears well made - it’s a shade under 18kg. It doesn’t look like any woodwork needs replacing, just a good strip down and refurbishment of the external surfaces. It has had a footrest in it at sometime but it’s not there now.

There’s a snug fitting rear foam bulkhead, but no front one. The front hatch was probably put there to access airbags or footrest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camwader_ ... 0823799526

Pedro75

Re: Kayel Angmagssalik Restoration Project

Post by Pedro75 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Nice. What’s the plan for the outside?

Jon352

Post by Jon352 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Pedro, I don't think it would be possible to get a nice even plywood finish now as it's so patchy, so I'll go for a paint finish - probably white. Yesterday I started prodding and poking, and ended up making significant progress in removing loose seam taping and old varnish. The keel and chine seams don't need redoing, but the main side seams and deck centreline joins need reglassing. Some small areas of plywood under the glass tape was damp and needs to dry out, but I haven't found any woodwork that needs replacing.

Pedro75

Post by Pedro75 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:07 am

Sounds like a plan! Keep the pics coming!

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Jon352 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:39 pm
The keel and chine seams don't need redoing, but the main side seams and deck centreline joins need reglassing...
If you're replacing the glass on the deck centreline, I'd have a think about replacing the front deck entirely with a curvier version. You could do this following the instructions in Nick Crowhurst's Shrike manual or there's another way of doing it that would still retain a curvy, low-profile, but would give you more space at the sides where you want to put your knees. (I can tell you how.) I know it sounds a bit drastic, but it isn't that hard to do and I've seen photos of other Angmagssaliks with similar fitted. (Look on Youtube for 'Superior kayaks ammassalik' for one example.) Apart from the aesthetics, this would be a stronger deck (curves resist the force of roof rack straps etc. much better) and as the front deck is the main showpiece of a kayak, it might mean you can get away without painting it. If you do paint it, that will make it a much higher maintenance boat, as it will require loads more touching-up and full repaints, whereas natural wood finish hides scratches well. It would also mean you could use a normal cockpit rim - I can't imagine those weird arched ones are that effective at keeping the water out.

Jon352

Post by Jon352 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 pm

PlymouthDamo, Thanks for the advice - I had considered those options, but in the short term I will leave the deck alone. I haven't paddle this boat or any other Angmagssalik, so I'd like to try it in standard form before making any alterations. Also, leaving it standard means it will be usable sooner, and I've got all sorts of other projects on the go - I really shouldn't have started this now but it just sort of happened.

Durability of a paint finish isn't really much of an issue since most of my paddling is on my local river where grounding isn't a problem. I may just paint the deck and leave the hull natural plywood, it remains to be seen how tidy I can make it. The need for repaints could be an advantage - I could try a variety of colours.