FSKs.....

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ringmaster

FSKs.....

Post by ringmaster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Dilemma.....
Fast Sea Kayak wanted...
SKUK Quantum-or-Rockpool Taran 18-or-Tiderace Pace 17/18...?? I just cannot decide!!

Fozzy

Re: FSKs.....

Post by Fozzy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Don't rule out the Taran 16 or Epic 16x. In the real world they are just as fast as the 18s as less drag, more manoeuvrable too so still good day boats as long as you don't want to go rockhopping in the case of the Epic.

camanche73

Post by camanche73 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:10 am

I have a NDK quantum. Although it does what it is designed for, I find it somewhat ‘boring’ and hard to get excited by. Also find the cockpit too large, and the rear coaming too high, which has meant I have to reassess my roll.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 am

Not heard of the Quantum, but the only way to tell is to try them and see which YOU prefer.
Try to test them in rough conditions, and then pick whichever you are most comfortable with in the rough. It doesn't matter which is fastest on a mirror calm day (unless that is the only time you paddle), you want the boat that is least tiring on a typical day.

Personally I find my Taran so reassuring in the rough that in this years Oban race when the going got really choppy I didn't need to adjust my stroke at all and the only speed change for me was due to wind and current, for a brief while I was outpacing a double and several surf skis (which got ahead again once the going got easier) who found they were having to add either support strokes or a support element (lower angle normally) to their forward stroke, and had ensure that they timed them properly to coincide with the crests of the waves. I doubt I would have survived a complete air stroke, but the occasional half immersed stroke was not a problem. You might find the same confidence in a different boat than me, but I beleive these are the kind of criteria most people should be using when selecting a fast sea kayak.

ringmaster

Post by ringmaster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Very interesting responses.....thank you, definitely helped!!