Nepal- realistic itinerary?

Inland paddling
BradS

Nepal- realistic itinerary?

Post by BradS » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:34 pm

There's a group of 3 of us strongly considering going to Nepal in Nov. and we were wondering if this seemed like a realistic and worth while way of spending 3 weeks in Nepal. (note: all in the group are comfortable grade 4 paddlers). We're still deciding whether it's worth while trying to fly boats out with Turkish or hire out there either. Although 3 weeks of boat hire will probably put us quite out of budget.

1-Fly out
2- arrival day
3- figure more things out
4- hit the road to Balephi Khola
5- paddle, stay at Sukute beach
6- Back to KTM/Pokhara
7- gather everything together
8- Hit road to Karnali
9-Arrive and paddle a bit possibly
10-paddle
11-paddle
12-paddle
13-paddle
14-Back to ktm/pokhara
15- Probably get back some silly time today
16-Recoop, nice meal, rest, drink etc.
17-Look into bhote koshi, touristy tings
18-Bhote Koshi
19-Bhote Koshi
20-
21-Fly out

Adrian Cooper

Re: Nepal- realistic itinerary?

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am

I've no experience of Nepal but it surprises me how few days you plan paddling. If I'm on a trip I object to a 'rest day' which others so often suggest.

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:39 am

Depending which section(s) of the Karnali, that looks pretty sensible.

Gotta love that faffy Nepali life...

BradS

Post by BradS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am
I've no experience of Nepal but it surprises me how few days you plan paddling. If I'm on a trip I object to a 'rest day' which others so often suggest.
I did plenty of 40+ day stints on the Nile but sadly Nepal's layout doesnt seem to allow that if you want to tick off decent rivers whilst being self sufficent. Restock food, new transport etc.

Would just be the lower down to the bridge Mark. If you'd swap out anything or suggest something else I'd be all ears! Keen to get tick off decent rivers and still wrapping my head around the country

JohnV

Post by JohnV » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:05 pm

You could readily plug in two days on the Madi Khola from Pokhara, plus some laps on the Upper Seti. Get your transport to the Balephi sorted ahead of the trip so you can get up there on day 3 at least. KTM and Pokhara are great, you'll have plenty of time there, and it's all too easy to spent too long there...!

frazerp

Post by frazerp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:58 am

Having been boating in Nepal a couple of times I’d say that is quite a relaxed itinerary. You could be much more aggressive and expect to paddle several extra days if you wanted and were prepared to work at it. But then you’d miss out on seeing and experiencing the country etc. Depends how laid back you want the trip to be really.

BradS

Post by BradS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Hard to know wuthout having set foot there. Great news that its realistic to get more done

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:36 am

Your schedule seems really relaxed to be honest. Also do not rely on Turkish flying boats for fee, many a paddler has bribed to get them on the plane when leaving Nepal.

See you in Nepal

Darren
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Agree with what others have said, that's quite a relaxed trip. For comparison, my first trip to Nepal went along the lines of:

10 Oct: Arrive in Kathmandu. Get to Pokhara.
11: Upper Seti
12: Madi (Lamarkhet to Damauli)
13: Pokhara Tourism/Logistics
14: Drive to Myagdi in the morning, (waste the following ~24hrs trying to find porters to carry into the upper)
15/16: Give up on the upper and do Lower Myagdi into Kali Gandaki
17: Pokhara/logistics/tourism
18/19: Modi - walk-in/paddle out
20: Marsyandi (lower)
21: Marsyandi (from Bhulbule)
22: driving/logistics
23: Balephi
24: Balephi
25: Bhote Kosi
26/27 Kathmandu tourist stuff.
28: Morning Flight from KTM

So, 11 days on the water from 17 full days there.

This was 2008 and October, so some of those rivers are no doubt dammed now, and Nov may be too low for others, but it gives you an idea of what can be achieved with local busses and no prior organisation.

You may get more paddling days if you canned going all the way over to the Karnali (it's a long way from all the other rivers), though i've heard it's nice!!

For info, you can get direct busses from the Karnali takeout at Chisapani direct to Kathmandu. Took me ~21 hrs 2 years back after getting off the Bheri in the same place.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Actually, looking at your itinerary, i seem to remember that Bhote Kosi and Balephi are pretty close to one another, and both ~3hrs east of Kathmandu. You'd probably be better off doing them both on the same visit rather than one at the start and one at the end of your trip.

If you were saving the Bhote Kosi till the end as it's harder, you could do another river over Pokhara way to warm up, instead of the Balephi?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”