Norfolk Broads Advice

Inland paddling
Grouchmonkey

Norfolk Broads Advice

Post by Grouchmonkey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

I wonder if anyone can give some advice about touring in the Norfolk Broads this October?

I am a reasonably experienced paddler having done a bit of sea kayaking, flatwater racing and touring but I do not know the area. I will have a mate with me whose sole experience is a trip we did up the Dart last year. He is dead keen on birdwatching and particularly wants to do the Norfolk Broads in the autumn as it is apparently good for that kind of thing, and I assume that we do not have to worry too much about tides or whitewater so it is not somewhere a novice will find difficult. We want to stay overnight so we can do a bit of an "expedition" over a long weekend but don't want to camp (particularly at that time of year).

I am looking for advice on some nice 2-3 day routes around the area, easy places to put in/take out and leave the cars, good places to stay overnight and, for one of us at least, canoe hire for the whole trip (we don't really want to have to do day trips only)

Oh and any good restaurants/pubs!

eskapist

Re: Norfolk Broads Advice

Post by eskapist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:30 pm

The best and first thing to do is to buy a copy of "Norfolk Broads Canoe & Kayak Guide" by Steve Maloney, you can get this from Amazon. This book will tell you all you need to know about put-ins, slips, parking on all of the rivers and broads. Second, look at the official Norfolk Broads website, plenty of info about using the Broads and canoe hire and accommodation locally. Can be a bit chilly on some of
the more open stretches of water in autumn. Most of the B&B's around here have vacancies after the summer when the "boaties" have all gone. 🐦 watching is a delight here.

Grouchmonkey

Post by Grouchmonkey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks - guide book on order!

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:23 pm

eskapist wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:30 pm
... buy a copy of "Norfolk Broads Canoe & Kayak Guide" by Steve Maloney, you can get this from Amazon.
I know you're sorted OP, but for anyone else like me, that never buys anything from Amazon, you can get it here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norfolk-Broa ... SwNJtdTcqz

No affiliation, but I've bought books from this eBay seller before, so can recommend them.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”