Gelcoat advice needed

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
charleston14

Gelcoat advice needed

Post by charleston14 »

Hi folks, today I became the proud owner of a kayak with a number of “badges of honour” on it.

I say proud because the Anas Acuta is a classic, but at the moment the boat would benefit from a makeover.

At some point in its long past it had an owner who’s answer to scrapes , scratches and chips, was to paint over the gelcoat cracks and such, with resin (translucent green) rather than do a gelcoat (flowcoat) repair.

Funtional, but not pretty. Like it’s current owner.

It’s a valley boat so the gelcoat is thick; it could be sanded buffed and polished up like has been done on a Nordkapp makeover on this forum

I want to remove these old repairs: what’s the best way to remove the old resin that’s been brushed on top of the gelcoat? Can I sand it off without adverse damage to the gelcoat around it, scrape it off with a Stanley knife blade ? Would it soften and come off easier with careful use of a heat gun?

Can’t imagine there is a solvent that would de-bond it without also messing up the gelcoat.

Chris Bolton

Re: Gelcoat advice needed

Post by Chris Bolton »

Unless the hull underneath has been sandpapered before it was painted on (which seem unlikely) it will not be well bonded and will probably flake off with a scraper or a gentle push with a sharp (but wide) wood chisel. I would not use solvents or heat. Sanding is possible but will be hard work and will tend to remove adjacent original gelcoat as well.

Jim

Post by Jim »

I keep a chisel for this kind of work, do make sure the edge is good and it is sharp before you start - nicks on the edge will tend to cause scratches in the surounding gel.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

It does indeed flake off in places, with a bit of encouragement.

Ah yes the humble chisel..why on earth did I not think of that!

dhcuthill

Post by dhcuthill »

I would sand it off with a course glass paper nailed on to a half-metre board. Keep the strokes linear bow to stern.
Once you've done that, do it again and again with finer paper.
Once it's sanded and repaired, mask off the deck and apply an epoxy hot-coat. Be extremely safety conscious when using epoxy. It is hazardous. You need a full breathing mask.
This is how surfboards are made. With a hot-coat.
Rub it down again till you are happy with it.
Get advice from a boardmaker, who will probably be able to pour it for you.

SJD

Post by SJD »

Are you able to post pictures? As you mentioned Valley gelcoat is quite thick. You may be able to get away with a proper gelcoat repair in the damaged areas and then do a light sand, buff and polish to the rest of the kayak. I have never been a fan of flow coating an entire kayak or hull.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

I chiseled off the resin, orbital sanded and buffed the boat and have done minor gelcoat repairs. Came up a treat. Redid the tatty seams, removed the old footrest brackets, fitted deck fittings, lines and elastics. Almost finished just need to do a keel strip, and some strengthening strips inside the hull for piece of mind. I’m writing up a brief article on the process, which I’m happy to share if anyone is interested.

SJD

Post by SJD »

Please do, I love seeing old kayaks brought back to life.

Pedro75

Post by Pedro75 »

SJD wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:52 am
Please do, I love seeing old kayaks brought back to life.
Me too!

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Thanks for that, just the info I was hoping for, see also my posts on Yellerbellys Alas for sale thread. Some nice pics would really round off your post.

Thanks in advance???
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

My restored Anas, for inspiration :