Gelcoat advice needed

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
charleston14

Gelcoat advice needed

Post by charleston14 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi folks, today I became the proud owner of a kayak with a number of “badges of honour” on it.

I say proud because the Anas Acuta is a classic, but at the moment the boat would benefit from a makeover.

At some point in its long past it had an owner who’s answer to scrapes , scratches and chips, was to paint over the gelcoat cracks and such, with resin (translucent green) rather than do a gelcoat (flowcoat) repair.

Funtional, but not pretty. Like it’s current owner.

It’s a valley boat so the gelcoat is thick; it could be sanded buffed and polished up like has been done on a Nordkapp makeover on this forum

I want to remove these old repairs: what’s the best way to remove the old resin that’s been brushed on top of the gelcoat? Can I sand it off without adverse damage to the gelcoat around it, scrape it off with a Stanley knife blade ? Would it soften and come off easier with careful use of a heat gun?

Can’t imagine there is a solvent that would de-bond it without also messing up the gelcoat.

Chris Bolton

Re: Gelcoat advice needed

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:15 pm

Unless the hull underneath has been sandpapered before it was painted on (which seem unlikely) it will not be well bonded and will probably flake off with a scraper or a gentle push with a sharp (but wide) wood chisel. I would not use solvents or heat. Sanding is possible but will be hard work and will tend to remove adjacent original gelcoat as well.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 pm

I keep a chisel for this kind of work, do make sure the edge is good and it is sharp before you start - nicks on the edge will tend to cause scratches in the surounding gel.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 pm

It does indeed flake off in places, with a bit of encouragement.

Ah yes the humble chisel..why on earth did I not think of that!