Training for Quadrathlon - Coaching and Training in Stockport

Commercial services
KurtAlden

Training for Quadrathlon - Coaching and Training in Stockport

Post by KurtAlden » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 am

Hello

I am a triathlete looking to take it up a notch, I'm hoping to do the Brigg Bomber quadrathlon in May next year. I have little kayaking experience and need advice as to how I can take this forward or, to be fair, if it is even possible. Fundamentally, I need to know how I can get lots of training and coaching (if required) in over the winter so I'm ready for May. I've done lots of Googling to try and find the answers but I've not really got anywhere. I think the questions are...

1) Is there somewhere I can train in safe, supervised conditions over winter, I'd suggest this is the ideal scenario. I chatted to an instructor at Helly Hanson and he seemed to suggest they have reasonably regular sessions over winter but I've not been able to get more information.

2) Failing that, is there a club I can join who hold regular sessions, preferably outdoors as opposed to pool-based.
I'd rather be outdoors, I think that'd be the best option but I understand that going alone is a last resort so going as part of a club seems a good plan.

3) Again, failing that, where can I get trained up so I'm as safe as I can be to train alone (or with a training partner?). I do understand that this is not the best idea but it may be that or nothing.

I know there is a trail on the Mersey and there's an outdoor centre there but I can't really find info on doing the kind of training I'm looking for. I also know there are lots of open sessions dotted around (I've been to the Helly Hanson centre in Salford a few times) but they won't be running over winter and that's when I'll be looking to train.

Thanks in advance
K

Chris Bolton

Re: Training for Quadrathlon - Coaching and Training in Stockport

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:48 am

I'd suggest joining Macclesfield & District Canoe Club. They're the nearest club to Stockport with the kind of racing background and training session you're looking for. Runcorn (I think) or Chester would also work, but they're further away.

Return to “Courses, Trips and Guiding”