Trip around the Isle of Wight

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
SevenDeluxe

Trip around the Isle of Wight

Post by SevenDeluxe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Hello Everybody,

Long time i didnt't come on this forum. But now I need some help.
I (We) am a French kayaker, and intend to do do kayak around the Isle of Wght. We will be 5/6 persons, with a level of kayak from medium-good (me) to excellent (all the others).
I know the Isle of Wight as I travel there several times fews years ago.
Now I would like t make it discover to some memebers of my Kayak Club.
So now I have to organize things. Trip will be on june 2020.
I have lot of questions.
Are some laws/rules that would not amllow us ti kayak in the UK ? Do we need a British guide?
What is the exact distance we will travel?
Should we go on the Island with the car, or can we go from the "Continent"? (an funny expression I learned when I was on Wight)
Is it difficult to go from continent to the Island?
What is the price to travel with a Renault Trafic and a trailer with sea kayaks?
That are the first questions. I will probably have more later.

To be precise, the other members totally know how to use a map, the meteorology, etc. (often do trip in autonomy for a week) in Britanny (Bretagne).
Sorry if my message is too long or in the wrong category. Thank you for your replies.

MYSSAK

Re: Trip around the Isle of Wight

Post by MYSSAK » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:28 am

Hi,
As long as you know what you are doing there is nobody going to try to stop you. You don't need UK leader or coach to kayak in British waters.
Circumnavigation of IOW is roughly 95km if I remember it correctly.
It is possible to cross from the mainland, you just need to take traffic and tide into consideration.

Personally I would not go to IOW from Brittany, best things about it are it is an island so it is possible to paddle around and Needles. Dorset coast further west is far more interesting in my opinion.

Have a good trip.

Michal

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:26 pm

There are lots of places from the mainland where you can set off for the Island, and round the Island. Cheaper than taking a vehicle over to the Island, unless you want one there as a backup.

Its often kayaked in an anti clockwise direction, travelling the south coast from the Needles to Bembridge then round to undertake the north coast to wherever you set off from.

The Round the Island Yacht (30 May 2020) or the Cowes to Torquay power boat races (?? August 2020), they could cause disruption for you if either are on the day your passing Cowes or crossing the solent, Cowes week Yachting similar (10 to 17 August 2020). But your group sounds like it can deal with these and in June 2020 it should be fine.

For the south of the Island there is a good camp site at Grange Farm, its a short walk to the Three Bishops Inn at Brighstone for food and drink.

Have a great trip.

SevenDeluxe

Post by SevenDeluxe » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Thank you for your replies and informations.
I do know the Dorset coast, and think it's a beautiful one, I yearly go in that region and around, so may be another time (for example close to Portland)
About the place of the departure, Going from the mainland seems to be a better way, (what however has to be discusssed with my mates) we do not necessarly need a car back up.
We rather intend to carry all our stuffs on our kayaks (tents etc.). We just need some grass+shower to stay at night.
When I was on the IOW It was easy to join a city, even in the south where there are fewer cities.
Basically, we would need a pub to eat something english in the evening (the aim of the trip is to kayak but also to make discover english pub and cooking for those who never have been in England before and in the IOW particularly). I accept to organize it, because I travelled in England at least once a year, but also bought my kayak to a member of this forum.
Thank you for the calendar tips.
Would anybody know where it would be possible to park our van and trailer for some days on the mainland (the cheapest the better) for example close to a place where we could boarding?

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:02 am

Between Calshot and Hurst Castle there are four places you might park and access, best you look on line for costs. Calshot, Lepe Country Park (might not allow overnight), Lymington and Keyhaven. There are places around Lymington and Keyhaven where you could park for free, if you do later choose that area then let me know and I can tell you places.

There are many many access area's between Southampton and Portsmouth, someone else would not to advise where these are and how safe they might be.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:58 am

You might find the book “south west sea kayaking” by mark rainsley useful.

Good paddlers can cross from the mainland to the Isle of Wight. Keyhaven to freshwater bay, or some people do Lepe to Cowes.

robhorton

Post by robhorton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:57 pm

If the weather is good enough for the circumnavigation it should be fine for the crossing too. Keyhaven has the shortest crossing, avoids the major shipping lanes further east and has a few places you could leave a car.

There are a few places you can wild camp but they can be well spread out - start looking for one before you get desperate. Most of the south west coast is loose cliffs which the tide comes right to the base of so the campsite at Grange is probably a better bet.

A laminated copy of the tidal stream atlas from an almanac is useful.

Micky B

Post by Micky B » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Keyhaven gets my vote for a starting point (there's a car park there but other options if it is a quiet time of day). It will be expensive to take a vehicle and trailer onto the IOW. The overfalls off Hurst spit can make for a very lumpy start if wind is against tide. Grange Farm campsite as mentioned earlier overlooks the beach.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:20 pm

The sea front at Lee on Solent is a good place to launch and safe place to leave a vehicle, free parking. The main thing is to get the tides right, a high coef. makes it easier. Many CKmer paddlers have joined us at Portsmouth Canoe Club. We are in Brittany at Camping Les Sept Iles Trelevern from about 12-20 September if you want to drop by for more info.