Whitewater Kayak Rental in Scotland

Inland paddling
AWetState

Whitewater Kayak Rental in Scotland

Post by AWetState » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Hey all,

My wife and I are looking to go to Scotland next Easter to boat some of the rivers (especially before the potential loss of the Etive valley!).

I am wondering if there are any shops or clubs that rent kayaks in Scotland? We are probably going to fly into Glassglow or Edinburgh... so if there is a shop/club there, that would be ideal I think. But beggars can’t be choosers!

Anyways, if anyone is able to point us in the right direction, it would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Daniel
www.AWetState.com

banzer

Re: Whitewater Kayak Rental in Scotland

Post by banzer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:59 am

Hi Daniel

I'm afraid I can't help much with rental options, but I'm sure there will be something, if not friendly boaters to help you out.

Although we may be facing a couple of years of construction traffic the road will down the Etive will remain open. The classic 'Middle Etive' section that runs at pretty much all levels will be unaffected by the hydro. The effect on the two main narrow 'steep creeks' the Allt A' Chaorainn and the Allt Mheuran, remains to be seen. They will still run at higher levels and there is even talk of a 'push button' system whereby you can reduce water flow through the hydro on demand. Whether this actually happens remains to be seen.

Easter is a hit and miss affair in Scotland. Some years it is very wet, others not at all. If it's sunny and no rain then it might be worth looking east to the Cairngorms for snowmelt - the river Tilt and the Deeside burns being the obvious ones. But rain is seldom far away in Scotland!

If you don't have it already I would recommend the Scottish White Water guide https://www.pesdapress.com/index.php/pr ... ite-water/ .... though of course I would I helped compile it! ;)
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

AWetState

Post by AWetState » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks for the reply!

Yea we will be chasing water across the whole island if needed. We are originally from a California, so we are used to long drives to rivers!

And thanks, already got a copy of the book!

Yew

Post by Yew » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:08 am

Worst comes to worst, there are plenty of distilleries and ski resorts:D

AWetState

Post by AWetState » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Yea we are mountain bikers as well, so that, being tourists, and drinking is our backup plan :).

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi Daniel, I think I used your site in the past which helped save the day on a (very low water) trip to Switzerland a few years back. In fact, I think some link (one of the maps?) was broken on the site, I emailed you and it was fixed within an hour or so which helped hugely.

If you are still looking for boats and are willing to fly into Manchester (~3.5 hrs drive from Glasgow/Edinburgh) then you're welcome to borrow some of mine (assuming I'm not using them, which I probably won't be!). Machno M and Burn 3 M are probably the best options.

Could probably lend you playboats too (Vibe, Molan M, Inazone 230/220) if you had space on the car and Falls of Lora was running.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Maybe buy something cheap and sell them at the end of the holiday?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/4-ka ... i5iTMRIYTM

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”