Nordkapp Jubilee Try for Size

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Bear

Nordkapp Jubilee Try for Size

Post by Bear » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:14 pm

Does anyone have or know of a Nordkapp Jubilee in the New Forest, Wiltshire, Dorset area that I can try for size before committing to a purchase. Any other information on this type of boat also welcome. I've read with interest some of the useful references. I'm 6'3" 14 stone, cyclist thighs. Deck height info would be of interest in comparison to Cetus, Scorpio, Capella, Delphin. Thanks for providing reading. look forward to your comments.

Yellerbelly

Re: Nordkapp Jubilee Try for Size

Post by Yellerbelly » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:12 am

Bought a Jubilee as my first kayak 12 odd years ago. I'm 6'2" and don't think I've been 14st for a couple of decades!!

The Jubilee was built before manufacturers did much about cockpit ergonomics. I don't know the P&H kayaks well for comparison apart from the old square hatch Capellas that the club has. More space than them though less comfortable.

I don't use it much these days (It hasn't got wet for maybe 3 years) but I sat in it last night. My left knee hits the skeg control but right knee goes out to the gunwale so you sit a bit lop sided and not very well connected to the boat (but this is how I used it for years). You need to work on getting comfortable with foam pads glued under the deck.
Never had a problem with the glassfibre seat but I have lowered it to help stability. A bit twitchy, not really a beginners boat.
Cockpit length is good getting in and out.

Later oval front hatch Jubilees are better. Easier to pack.

Any other questions let me know. . . . . Ben

Bear

Post by Bear » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Thank you Ben,

I really appreciate you taking the time to describe your experiences.
I've taken th plunge, deciding to test paddle in a few waves and loved it. Fits like a favourite pair of shoes already.
All the very best
Guy

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Good. I drove 300 miles, sat in it and bought mine there and then.

Enjoy!