Lechlade to London in 7 days - advice on B&Bs and stopping places along the way

One blade only
Flic007

Lechlade to London in 7 days - advice on B&Bs and stopping places along the way

Post by Flic007 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello, we are thinking of canoeing from Lechlade to London in 7 days at the end of August and would be grateful if anyone could suggest B&Bs or pubs along the way. I guess we will have to do about 20 miles a day.
We are both fifty somethings of average fitness for our age - not really sportspeople. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Terryg

Re: Lechlade to London in 7 days - advice on B&Bs and stopping places along the way

Post by Terryg » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:25 am

Check out Mark Rainsley's book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paddle-Thames- ... way&sr=8-1

There is a very good program available free for the Mac (but not available on Windows), calledRiverThames Guide. There is a cut down version available for Android phones.

Mal Grey

Re: Lechlade to London in 7 days - advice on B&Bs and stopping places along the way

Post by Mal Grey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:45 pm

Hey.

A few things to think about;

Do you mean Teddington Lock (tidal limit) or London city centre (Which is on the Thames Tideway and brings its own rules and challenges, is only suitable for the more experienced, plus its a bit further)?
Whilst you say how fit you are, how much experience do you have canoeing?
7 days is a challenging time target, is that the idea of the trip, a challenge to overcome, or were you wanting some time to enjoy it a bit and relax? If the latter, I'd reduce your daily mileage, if fairly inexperienced, to 12-15 miles per day.
There may be good info on sites about the Thames Path that is relevant you also.

Paddle Points has lots of info, though not so much on B&Bs, mostly on campsites etc: http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?RiverId=21

Lechlade to Oxford does not pass through towns or villages really, and not sure any of the few pubs do accommodation. Therefore you'd need to arrange to get canoes somewhere secure and walk to your overnight stop or get picked up. There are, though, several good little camp spots (see the Paddle Points link).
Below Oxford, there are towns every day, though not necessarily at conveniently spaced distances, or with riverside accom.
The only place I've actually stayed overnight in a pub or b&b from the Thames, is the George in Pangbourne, who let us keep our canoes in the yard. A Best Western, I think, some years ago.

We did it as a large, very relaxed, group, one weekend at a time from Cricklade to Tower Bridge. It took us 8 weekends, though in the middle of winter at least one was very short distances and large groups do everything slowly! 10 days might be a good compromise?