Understern or overstern rudders?

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
Simongelder

Understern or overstern rudders?

Post by Simongelder » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Looking at getting a stable K1. Thinking of getting a new one, I have a choice of rudders. Note that understern is standard and over stern is chosen as a customisation.

Seems to me that overstern must be better if paddling where there is lots of weed such as on canal and in some estuaries. Also easier to get into boat from beach type bank in winter without getting feet wet! Look less neat than understern.

Is there any major advantage or disadvantage with either? Logic says overstern but as not standard spec I am hesitant to go against conventional wisdom.

Chris Bolton

Re: Understern or overstern rudders?

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:52 am

It's been discussed here: viewtopic.php?t=78320

Understern are usually favoured for sprint and deep water, overstern for marathon and potential shallows. Whether you want to do sprint or marathon is also worth considering as the weight limits are different - sprint K1s must be a minimum of 12kg, but for marathon you can go down to 8kg, which is useful on portages. But if you're still living in Chester, you have a club there who you can talk to about K1s.

Simongelder

Re: Understern or overstern rudders?

Post by Simongelder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks Chris. The old thread from 2011 is useful. Interested also to see a comment about positive attribute of older boats having less vertical weed catching bows. Chester are 100% understern and have been for ages. I am fairly convinced that overstern will better suit my purposes than what everyone else round here uses. If getting a new boat with overstern I think you can still have the fittings for understern built in. This could be useful for resale and leaves options open.