Jumping, tubing etc at Low Force

Inland paddling
banzer

Jumping, tubing etc at Low Force

Post by banzer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:45 pm

I know they're filming there at the moment but assuming it's 'open'...

I'd like to take my (fairly confident swimmer) 8 year old for some goofing around at Low Force this summer. I've paddled it just once and from memory you have the S-bends bit, the drop immediately above Low Force, then LF itself.

What are the lines on an inner tube? Can you go off LF itself? When I see people doing it on video they generally jump in to the side, I haven't seen it paddled at low flow, is that not a good idea? Which bits is it safe to swim and which are best avoided?

Obviously I'll make my own safety assessments on the day and do the lines myself first, I'd just like to know if there are any definite things to avoid. It'll be either very or fairly low I imagine.

Thanks, R
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Poke

Re: Jumping, tubing etc at Low Force

Post by Poke » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am

Commercially, I don't think they do low force. Just jump off the cliffs next to it.

For wee bro's stag we went up there and had a great time lapping S-bends in tubes. A couple of us ran the U-shaped fall immediately above low force (not particularly recommended - make sure you have a way of hauling people over before they're swept down the "jacuuzi chute"), and we all ran low force. The hole at the bottom of U-shaped fall was very retentive when surfing a tube in it!

As an added bonus, try jumping into the hole in the cauldron halfway down s-bends (without the tube). If you hit the seam right you can get some good downtime - popping up just in time to head down the last chute.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 pm

just bomb straight off the middle Banzer, you will be fine. Safety assessments are for the weak.
dam the dart :)

banzer

Post by banzer » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Now that's a blast from the past..... :)
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk