Broke deckline fixation on an Isel

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
OMarti

Broke deckline fixation on an Isel

Post by OMarti » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Hi,

I've broken one fixation of the deckline on the Rockpool Isel* of the wife, during a recovery training.

As I've already seen that problem on a Rockpool, I have two questions :

- How can I repair that ?

- Do you have a suggestion to replace the present fixations with stronger ones ?

Thanks for your help,

Olivier

* question as a french : how do you call that ? RDF, for recessed deck fitting ? An other word ?

rockhopper

Re: Broke deckline fixation on an Isel

Post by rockhopper » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:43 am

I would have a chat with Rockpool and see what they recommend. They have always been very helpful when I have communicated with them

Rog.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:30 am

I agree with the suggestion to ask Rockpool. I would call them recessed deck fittings or RDFs.

Replacing RDFs is difficult, particularly near the ends of the boat where the underneath of the deck is difficult to reach. What has actually broken; has the plastic fitting snapped or has it pulled out from the fibreglass?

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:37 pm

As far as I can see, the RDF are little plastic plates that are glued. The glue broke.

I guess you're right : asking Rockpool is a good idea. I've already interact with them when I need a certificate to matriculate my boat in France. Mike Webb help me very kindly and fast :-)

But they will probably help me to repair as closed as possible to the genuine build. As the system don't seem very trustable, I'm also interested to find a stronger system that could fit to the Isel. If anyone has an idea ;-)

Olivier

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:59 pm

I have had an Alaw bach for 10 years and an Isel for 2 and never had any problems with the deck fittings so you may just have a boat that had a glitch when they were first glued in. Worth re-gluing and see how you get on.

Rog.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:17 pm

In this post it's reported that Rockpool use IWT Devweld to fix them in. I am never sure that glueing anything that has broken will be as strong as the original bond that was made in factory conditions onto a clean, new surface - but see what Mike says.

If one of the RDFs on my Rockpool broke, and Mike wasn't able to help, I think I would try to find a stainless steel plate, the same size as the plastic, drill and countersink a hole at each end and bolt it through the deck each side of the original recess. Then I would mould over the nut underneath with epoxy putty, and laminate a layer of glassfibre over the whole bulge under the deck. That would be fairly easy near a hatch, but very difficult at the ends of the boat.

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:44 pm

The broken RDF is close to the front hatch. So your method seems feasible. I'm not gone try anything before leaving for Corsica next Thursday, I've some time to think of it.

Thanks for your help.

Olivier