Stash your paddle float

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Spikeedog

Stash your paddle float

Post by Spikeedog » Wed May 08, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm using a foam paddle float. Where's best to stash it for ease of access assuming the boat is upside down? Is there any merit in attaching it to a spare assembled paddle on the deck?

Owen

Re: Stash your paddle float

Post by Owen » Wed May 08, 2019 8:10 pm

Learn to get back in without one, at the same time as you learn to roll. Then ditch it.

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Wed May 08, 2019 8:16 pm

That's the plan and the float's main use is to help with that but until then.....

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Thu May 09, 2019 12:06 am

On the deck behind the paddler. It is where the paddle is going to go during the re-entry.

Also easily grabbed to stop the seal sinking after harpooning it. All Inuits do that.
https://quillette.com/2019/01/21/enteri ... le-hunter/

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 am

Really interesting article too. Thanks for the link. I'm away to see if I can track down a copy of the game 😀

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Thu May 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Mine sits under a foredeck elastic, but it’s the inflatable type, so sits flat and I can easily reach it while the boat is upside down.

I’m not sure I’m envisaging correctly your thought on having it attached to an assembled paddle, which wouldn’t work for me. I carry spare splits on my foredeck and wouldn’t like them pre-assembled, with or without a float attached and can see them getting in my way at other times, rather than being an advantage. What would you do with your main paddle, whilst releasing and self rescuing with your pre-assembled secondary paddle. That could drift away into an area that you may not be able to retrieve it from, or if you stick it under a deck elastic, it could interfere with your self rescue. Just a few thoughts.

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 pm

That's what I was thinking. My spare is a Greenland paddle and I'm never alone on the water though

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:02 pm

There are occasions when even the best roll can fail and the argument surrounding the carrying of paddle floats has been raging for ever. I have a question about why do you say your boat will be upside down when you will be looking for your paddle float? After a capsize and wet exit, surely you would turn the boat right way up to set up for your reentry roll, which means you can retrieve your paddle float from wherever it is. I keep an inflatable one behind my seat in case my normal reentry roll doesn't work without one (maybe in rough water). After capsizing and a wet exit, I turn the boat the right way up and then it only takes a few seconds to retrieve my paddle float and a few breaths to inflate it and then the reentry roll is guaranteed.
Deflating the paddle float afterwards can be a bit more awkward than ditching a foam block and paddling with an airbag on one of your blades is not easy in the sort of conditions which capsized you in the first place, but at least you are back in the boat and out of the water. Any type of paddle float can also be used as a stabilising outrigger while you pump out.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 pm

There may be times when a re-entry roll isn’t an option, such as an injury, disability or not having achieved that skill yet.

For that reason, I also practice a self rescue technique that I was taught, where I initially leave my boat upside down, fit and inflate my paddle float, then use my extended paddle over my shoulder, to counter lifting one end of my boat up, emptying the vast majority of water from the cockpit and in the same movement, flipping the boat the correct way up. Slipping the paddle under the rear deck lines allows the float to act like an outrigger, allowing me to climb back in.

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Northern Blue wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 pm
then use my extended paddle over my shoulder, to counter lifting one end of my boat up, emptying the vast majority of water from the cockpit.....
Why a vast amount of water in the cockpit? The kayak should float higher than when you are in it which ever way up it is. So maybe fitting some foam to fill wasted cockpit space might be a good idea. Roll the kayak up and empty it later.

This also applies to two kayak rescue, the "drag it across the deck of a rescuing kayak" which is daft. All of that takes unnecessary time which is time in the water for the capsized paddler. It would appear it came from river paddling of kayaks without bulkheads yet it still gets recited.

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri May 10, 2019 5:24 am

There's no need to drag anything across your deck, the bow roll method is much quicker and gets rid of most of the water in the cockpit. A cockpit half full of water sloping around all over the place is not helpful when you're struggling to stay upright.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 am

Mac50L wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 pm
Northern Blue wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 pm
then use my extended paddle over my shoulder, to counter lifting one end of my boat up, emptying the vast majority of water from the cockpit.....
Why a vast amount of water in the cockpit?.....
I should have made that clearer, I didn’t say there would be a vast amount of water in the cockpit, I said it would empty the vast majority of the water from the cockpit.

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Sat May 11, 2019 8:55 am

Northern Blue wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 am
I should have made that clearer, I didn’t say there would be a vast amount of water in the cockpit, I said it would empty the vast majority of the water from the cockpit.
Sorry, I didn't differentiate.

I still query the ability to lift say a loaded kayak, say 50 kg (30 kg kayak alone), which means lifting about 15 kg with a paddler having a reserve buoyancy with a PFD of <5 kg, then include wind and waves as well. Just how much is tipped out and just how much is there if the kayak is simply rolled up and pumped afterwards. Some use a foot pump, some Australians insist on an electric pump being fitted and my hand pump would empty the water with about 3-4 strokes. Note, not a commercial pump.

The other question is the paddle? Is it hand held or attached to the kayak by a lease? Which ever, an added complexity or an entanglement liability during the swim to the bow and then back to the cockpit. Doing the roll the kayak upright from where you fall out would seem simpler and far quicker.