Paddle recommendations

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Fergster

Paddle recommendations

Post by Fergster » Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 pm

I am looking to buy a new paddle something a little more special than my entry level Werner skaggit.

I had been looking at either a Celtic paddle or ve paddle but it looks like ve are no longer making paddles.

My intended use is general sea kayaking, coastal exploration, a bit of rock gardening and working up and through my 3star award.

Ve had recommended their glass shaft and carbon blades Celtic are suggesting carbon shaft and either their nylon or carbon 650 blades.

I’d love to hear people’s views or suggestions. Cheers

Mrstratos61

Re: Paddle recommendations

Post by Mrstratos61 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:45 pm

I went from basic Skagit to carbon shuna. The difference in swing weight and blade size is dramatic

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Tue May 07, 2019 8:41 pm

I can’t fault my 4 piece Celtic Sea Pro, cranked carbons. I went for slightly larger blades and have been using 700s for the last couple of years.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 am

Devastated that VE no longer making paddles. Best paddle I have used. Hopefully someone will be able to take over their manufacture.

Rog.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Wed May 08, 2019 9:08 am

4 piece Celtic wins over the Shuna ..... Continuously variable feather and adjustable length.

If you're going to buy a new paddle you might as well buy one which can be adjusted. Select your blade size with care. Big paddlers might be okay with the 700, but it is amazing how different the 650 feels if the 700 is too big!!

Carbon blades - that is a no brainer!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 08, 2019 2:11 pm

Carbon is stiff and light.
Glass is less stiff and a bit heavier.
Nylon is not very stiff and heavy.
Carbon/nylon stiffer than nylon and not as heavy.

An all carbon paddle (blades and shaft) can be hard work for a beginner because it is a very stiff combination, many people are better with a softer grade shaft - glass or a glass/carbon mix
Carbon blades can be prone to wear or splintering, glass a bit less so and Nylon or ideally carbon/nylon are virtually indestructible.

For most sea kayaing (deep water, nothing to wear your blade) I would say carbon blades with a shaft that suits you (tend to glass for beginner, carbon as you get stronger but find your own preference), but you do mention rock gardening for which I would probably reccommend carbon/nylon blades and same shaft choice as above.
If you go for Celtic 4-piece, you will be able to buy 'spare' blades so could in fact have a 6-piece paddle and choose whether to use carbon or carbon/nylon blades depending on the type of trip you are going on. Also if you later decide you want a stiffer shaft (I'll suggest glass or economy carbon to start) you could just buy a spare shaft, and once again fit either set of blades into it as appropriate.

Kris_D

Post by Kris_D » Wed May 08, 2019 3:37 pm

I've had all three makes and VE is my favourite. Too bad they stopped! I knew they were designing new wing paddles, so this is surprising.
All three makes paddle nicely and apart from VE I like Celtic too. I've just seen a few break, they seem a bit fragile. Maybe coincidence.
My problem with Werner (I have Cypruses) is that they only come in two sizes: too small and too large (for me). I know people buy Corryvreckan's and trim them into "medium" but, come on... The centre joint; I've handled quite a few Werners and after a while they all seem to wobble. Plus, they easily get stuck and can't be adjusted in length.
There are other reputable makes worth looking into: Mitchell Blades, Epic etc.
I initially bough my Werners because they are incredibly light, but I later discovered that that a bit of extra weight (within reason) actually doesn't bother me on the water. I wouldn't get foam-core paddles for rock-hopping, too fragile.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:25 am

rockhopper wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 am
Devastated that VE no longer making paddles. Best paddle I have used. Hopefully someone will be able to take over their manufacture.

Rog.
Me too. VE paddles are (were) the mutt's nuts. I hope my carbon Voyager will last for ever so I won't have the impossible task of finding something even close to it.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:38 am

I paddle a Celtic 650 with carbon shaft and sf polymer blades. I love it. What’s nice is you can swap blades later if you need to.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:01 pm

charleston14 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:38 am
I paddle a Celtic 650 with carbon shaft and sf polymer blades. I love it. What’s nice is you can swap blades later if you need to.
Though I absolutely would go carbon for anything other than rockhopping