P&H Vela -return to Sea kayaking

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
huskytone65

P&H Vela -return to Sea kayaking

Post by huskytone65 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi,

After a long break I have decided to return to Sea kayaking (especially as I live half a mile from the sea!).

I have seen a very nice P&H Vela (almost new condition & a good price). I am 5`6 and about 12 stone.

I used to paddle a glass Avocet for many years ( had one of first top quality prototype) most of the Foster boats including a very tippy Echo ( mate and I had the only 2 in the country from Watermark NL that made Nigel Foster kayaks at the time.

I`m looking for a responsive, agile and nippy boat,

Any one had a Vela and can comment on how they paddle (have read the reviews)

Cheers Tony

Robert Craig

Re: P&H Vela -return to Sea kayaking

Post by Robert Craig » Wed May 08, 2019 11:10 am

I own and have owned a Vela for years. I'm 5 feet 8 inches, and about 10 1/2 stone, and it's just right for me, and I love it. It's low windage, and it's biassed to being fast rather than being agile. I'm happy in it both when it's calm and when the wind gets up.

But maybe at 12 stone you might be on the heavy side for it - you need to try it. If you are near Glasgow you could try mine.

huskytone65

Post by huskytone65 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi, many thanks for your comments and the offer of a paddle. I may take you up on it if I manage to get to Oban in a few weeks!
When I looked at an old P&H brochure it said it was suitable for people up to 105 KGS (16 stone)? Maybe I need a rethink? Shame as it looks a nice kayak.

Cheers

Is the

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 am

Could it be that the 105 kg was meant to be the total load - that is paddler plus gear?