Getting a Kayak down a narrow alleyway

Inland paddling
spices100

Getting a Kayak down a narrow alleyway

Post by spices100 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Am looking to get a fishing kayak around 12-14 foot long.
I live in a built up area in a terrace house (no garage/drive or front garden) and the only way to get a kayak into the back garden is through a narrow alleyway which is about 4 foot wide. The ally is shared amongst 6 properties.

The only thing is that my property is on the end, so that means i have to take it along 40 feet then its a 90 degree turn then another 40 feet to get to my garden.

Can anyone recommend a method of turning the kayak 90 degrees in a ally which is 4 foot wide ?

Lift it upright or some sort of a trolley for moving washing machines ??

jmmoxon

Re: Getting a Kayak down a narrow alleyway

Post by jmmoxon » Thu May 02, 2019 3:31 pm

Upright or get an inflatable.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

spices100

Post by spices100 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Not keen on inflatables as i need to attached a lot of accessories for fishing etc.

Would it be easy to lift upright and not cause any damage ?

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu May 02, 2019 6:07 pm

How much headroom do you have, and what are the sides like; can you lean the kayak against them? The kayak won't come to any harm from being upright, so long as you can get it upright and down again under control.

spices100

Post by spices100 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:07 pm
How much headroom do you have, and what are the sides like; can you lean the kayak against them? The kayak won't come to any harm from being upright, so long as you can get it upright and down again under control.
The sides are all brick walled. Once into the alleyway, i have about 9 foot headroom for about 20 feet of length then its open air. Maybe if i make some sort of a box trolley so that i can stand it upright in their and wheel it after that.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu May 02, 2019 10:11 pm

Does it need a trolley or can you carry it? If you can carry, I'd take it to the corner, put the end against the wall, get under the other end and walk it upright, turn, walk it down and pick it up again. With a trolley, put the trolley under the front and push it from the back. At the corner, just as above, walk it upright, turn, walk it down, and now pull it behind you.

A trolley with the boat vertical sounds difficult to manage, and won't fit in the 9ft headroom section.

spices100

Post by spices100 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:11 pm
Does it need a trolley or can you carry it? If you can carry, I'd take it to the corner, put the end against the wall, get under the other end and walk it upright, turn, walk it down and pick it up again. With a trolley, put the trolley under the front and push it from the back. At the corner, just as above, walk it upright, turn, walk it down, and now pull it behind you.

A trolley with the boat vertical sounds difficult to manage, and won't fit in the 9ft headroom section.
Its about 35kg. I can get an inexpensive kayak trolley dolly and wheel it to the end of the ally.
How easy would it be to get under it and walk it upright to rest against the wall so i can lower it back down 90 degrees ? I never owned or managed a kayak in that way so don't want it falling it down on me.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:58 pm

I assume you can't just chuck it over the fence at the back of your garden then?

If you can't, then carrying it down the alley, standing it up on its end & then lowering it the other direction should be relatively straight forward - 35kg does sound heavy though!!

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri May 03, 2019 4:47 pm

This seems like a bizarre discussion to me but I'll chip in anyway. How about a harness so you can carry it on your back in a vertical manner and maybe you need to duck a bit where the height is restricted.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri May 03, 2019 5:31 pm

How easy would it be to get under it and walk it upright to rest against the wall so i can lower it back down 90 degrees
If one end is on a trolley and you pick up the other, assuming the centre of gravity is in the middle, you have to lift half the weight, so 17.5kg. As you move towards the middle that share increases, but once you get past 45 degrees, you can push it sideways with less force. But 35kg is heavy, so I don't know how easy it would be. Maybe find a plank or something the same length and tie a weight in the middle and try it. Start light and work up.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:35 pm

One thing I would say, my old Mad River canoe was 34kg - I could move it around & lift it no problem.

After a days paddling though, it became a whole different ballgame, especially if I was cold & wet too...

Something to bear in mind.

D

spices100

Post by spices100 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:47 pm
This seems like a bizarre discussion to me but I'll chip in anyway. How about a harness so you can carry it on your back in a vertical manner and maybe you need to duck a bit where the height is restricted.
Am not a Sherpa.

The height restriction is not the issue. I was questioning the ability of lifting/turning the kayak for a 90 degrees turn in the alleyway as i have never managed or owned a kayak of this size/weight before which am looking to buy. I need to sort out my storage problem first.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Well,

You either need to become a sherpa or have a go at manoeuvring one in the open & working out if you'll be able to heft it in a confined space....

34kg of long awkwardness will be fun to move around whichever way you look at it!!

D

garya

Post by garya » Tue May 07, 2019 1:53 pm

I had the same problem in my last property, I would work in a pair with on person at the gate opening footing sea kayak my open boat and I then picked up on end and work my hands down till it was vertical. then pulled the bottom out into the garden while I held it and slid it through my hands.

needed to eat a fair amount of Weetabix first …

Gary

jet

Post by jet » Wed May 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Secondhand gas bottle trolley off ebay.