Should I get a Valley Sirona RM or a Zegul Arrow Play? (Nuka?)

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Surferman

Should I get a Valley Sirona RM or a Zegul Arrow Play? (Nuka?)

Post by Surferman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:43 am

-I want a plastic kayak.
-I´m 174cm 66kg light athletic build
I have tried the older Valley Avocet and loved it. (not sure what size it was though.)

I consider myself a beginner, I have a safe roll, I enjoy fooling around in swimmingpools and generally playing with the kayak.
I´m more drawn to the technical part of paddling than the “full speed straight ahead for endless hours” part.
I may eventually want to play in light surf and gentle rock gardens.
-But the kayak must still have weekend trip capabilities and be able to keep up with group paddling (i´m ok with spending a little extra energy on group paddles, but not so much as to take the fun out of things)

So what to buy? The Valley is twice the price of the Zeguls, but a bit "nicer". Worth the extra cash? Different beast entirely?

Need Input! :)

rockhopper

Re: Should I get a Valley Sirona RM or a Zegul Arrow Play? (Nuka?)

Post by rockhopper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 am

Not sure how much the Zugul Arrow Play composite is but if close to the price of the Sirona RM then i would opt for the Zegul. Much lighter with good rocker and hard chined hull. Not paddled one myself but had a Greenland for a couple of years and it was a delight to paddle (but much more 'compact' for the paddler!!). You should see if you can get a paddle in both really but I much prefer the feel of a lighter (which usually means composite) boat and the hard chines just add to the appeal.

Rog.

Surferman

Post by Surferman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 am

Thanks, the low end composite Play and Nuka are close to the Sirona RM in price. I guess i should try some composite boats, but for my first boat i really want something i don´t need to be very careful with. Thus my interest in the plastic fantastic..
I think the Sirona has the most rocker, Zegul Play a little less, and Nuka the least. In spite of this, I have read reviews claiming the Nuka is a genuinely playful, fun and responsive boat. As is the Zegul play...
What does each of these individual kayaks do better than the others? (Sirona / Play / Nuka)

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:15 pm

How about building your own traditional Greenland design?

Light weight & hard chines could be perfect if you want to explore the technical aspects of paddling.

SJD

Post by SJD » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Just out of curiosity, why just those two models? Is it dealer location? It seems like there are quite a few more options available in plastic these days.

Surferman

Post by Surferman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 am

Building my own would be interesting, but in this life I unfortunately don´t have the time or garage space to spare. Also I would not dare use it, afraid it might get scratched! :D
I agree, light weight and hard chines would be ideal. But as I am a beginner, I seem predestined to make a few mistakes that could potentially break a fragile carbon boat, especially rockhopping.
Lots of options in plastic these days, but based on what i have read in reviews, these three ( Avocet/Sirona, Arrow Play, Arrow Nuka ) -are almost universally loved boats that from manufacturers statements fit my needs exactly, that is apart from the Nuka, wich is supposed to be a touring boat, but most reviews say it is every bit as playful as its bigger sister and at a shorter length even better suited for play stuff.
I have tried some other plastic offerings in my club, Venture Capella, Valley Aquanaut, North Shore Atlantic, mostly touring stuff and i find them less inspiring and a bit "boring". The only kayak I have loved from day one, is the Valley Avocet. The Sirona is its successor so I hope it has identical qualities.
Some of the plastic kayaks that were eliminated from my shortlist were the P&H Delphin, Valley Gemini, Romany Sport/Sportive, Boreal Baffin P1, P&H Scorpio, North Shore Atlantic, Prijon Seayak.
If there are other plastic kayaks in the mid-high end segment that fit the "playful daytrip kayak with weekend capabilities" description, that may have gone under my radar, then I´m all ears :)

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:02 am

I've got a Sirona RM and it is my "go to boat" for rockhopping and surf play. I used to have a Zegul Greenland GT which was great and very manoeuvrable but not particularly tough and so not ideal for your use. Unless you get the top spec Arrow Play you'll be in the same situation.
Valley do the Sirona RM in low volume and a friend who paddled mine for a week bought this LV version and loves it.
You've ruled out a lot of very good boats there, particularly the Delphin, Gemini and Romany - have you paddled any of these or is it on aesthetics?
Phone Valley as occasionally they'll have an ex demo they are willing to sell, both myself and my friend did this. Pete and Jason were both really helpful.