Roof rack or inflatable kayak

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
k.shark

Roof rack or inflatable kayak

Post by k.shark » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:08 pm

OK so I priced roof rack for motorhome for sea kayak nearly fainted.. Today I was in decathlon they have an inflatable one man kayak which seems OK anyone had any experience of them.

adventureagent

Re: Roof rack or inflatable kayak

Post by adventureagent » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:55 pm

It's usuallly about the paddler, but I don't really believe there are bad boats.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

k.shark wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:08 pm
OK so I priced roof rack for motorhome for sea kayak nearly fainted.. Today I was in decathlon they have an inflatable one man kayak which seems OK anyone had any experience of them.
I've got a good quality, small inflatable kayak. (A Gumotex Twist.) It's very robust and packs down ridiculously small so that you can fit it in a v. small rucksack. It paddles okay for what it is, but it's always going to be far slower than any boat which is (a) rigid and (b) long. It certainly doesn't fulfil the same function that my sea kayaks do, but for easily getting out in sheltered waters, it's a good option. If you're not planning to do any trips where you could be battling wind or current to get back to safety, it might be what you're looking for.

Have you considered a two or three-piece sea kayak instead? I've converted one of my full-size sea kayaks into a 3-piece, and it now fits inside my small hatchback car. It's probably as quick, or quicker, to get ready than the inflatable, and has exactly the same performance as a normal sea-kayak, although it's probably around 5kg heavier than pre-conversion. (It only weighed approx 18kg before I converted it, so it's still a very light boat.) It will inevitably last much longer than my inflatable, and it's more versatile with all that hatch space for gear. Storage is easy too as the three pieces stand up vertically in a footprint of less than a metre square.

k.shark

Post by k.shark » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm

I should have said I am very experienced paddler mostly river running playboating also sea kayaking but it was information on specific 1 man inflatable kayak with cockpit for spray deck. If reviews were ok it would be a very practicle answer to taking sea kayak in motorhome rather than big bill for roof rack.

k.shark

Post by k.shark » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm

I have had a look for 3 piece sea kayak but not many around or are very expensive and other end of the country.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 pm

If you're an experienced sea kayaker, I think you'd find an inflatable kayak very disappointing. A folding kayak, like Feathercraft made, feels like a real kayak - but they are even more expensive than roof racks.

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 am

Don't. I went the other way inflatable to sea kayak. They're a pain to fully dry ( sevylor ) very slow. Poor control

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 pm

Was it a Karitek roof rack that you were pricing up? if so don't worry - it's one of the best investments you can make if you have a motor home and sea kayak.

k.shark

Post by k.shark » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:35 pm

I have a sea kayak, I bought inflatable kayak after watching it on slalom course. Seems OK so far pretty rigid means I don't have to put holes in moho roof and fork out crazy money for roof rack. I already have kayak roof rack for my car for sea kayak, for longer trips

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 pm

If you have to have an inflatable the Gumotex and some others don’t have the ‘pain to fully dry’ problem of the Sevylors mentioned above because they are single skin, but they aren’t ever going to meet the performance of a hard shell. Look for one which is long and can take high pressure as there are some new designs out there. Our Gumotex Solar, an older design, can seat one or two and with two paddlers can keep up with one paddler in a regular sea kayak as long as conditions are mild.