Flare disposal.

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Whitey1

Flare disposal.

Post by Whitey1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 am

I have 2 Red Handle Flare Mk. 8 that have an expiry date of 05/11. How and/or where can you safely dispose of these, assuming they would not be reliable to use now?

Chris Bolton

Re: Flare disposal.

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 am

I contacted Holyhead Coastguard, who said they could dispose of them if I brought them to their HQ, subject to phoning a few days before to check whether the right people would be on duty to deal with them. Which is what I did. Then I bought a Greatland green rescue laser flare; I won't be buying any more pyrotechnics.

jet

Post by jet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:27 pm

I also ended up phoning in advance and taking mine to Milford Haven coastguard.

I tried many different approaches to avoid this, but struggled. Local waste disposal, fire service even professional pyrotechnic disposal etc etc

In the end it took a small diversion one morning whist down in Pembrokeshire and no charge.

Your location says Pyrenees, so either option could be more demanding :-)

I posted about this previously
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124630&p=792267#p792267

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Hello,

The French sailing school Les Glénans made an extensive test of old flares, some of them being 30 years old. It was when the authority, under pressure of flare makers, decided to limit the validity to 2 years, instead of 3 years at this time. The conclusion was that even 30 years old flares are OK if the external appearance is OK. If the flare has clearly suffer from humidity, it will probably fails. No flare appeared to be dangerous to fire. They simply fails.

This test convinced French authorities to set the validity to 4 years, which is still the case today. (and in UK ? Is it an European norm today ?). They also convinced the authorities to not unload outdated flares from boats during security checks.

At Les Glenans, they keep on each boat 1 set of valid flares (mandatory) and a supplemental outdated one for more security. At my kayak club, we use outdated flares for exercise (far from coast to avoid false alert of the coast guards). I won't keep to set of flares on my kayak, this is too much loading. But you can find an opportunity to exercise, give them to a sailing club, etc ...

Olivier

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks, OMarti. I believe it's illegal to practice with flares in the UK even inland or when the Coastguard have been told; they may only be fired in an emergency.

jet, your post prompts me to mention a user on this Forum who asked the authorities for advice (the Police, I think) on flare disposal, and they send a full army Bomb Disposal Unit to his house.

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Well, I cannot imagine that there is no possibility to exercise with any kind of security related material. It is mandatory to practice. But it might imply some booooooring administrative procedures :-((

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks guys. No longer in the Pyrenees, must remember to change location. I've contacted the local coastguard so just waiting to hear back from them now. Much appreciated advice.

robhorton

Post by robhorton » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:48 pm

If they're handheld (rather than parachute) flares I would be inclined to set them off in the garden (wearing gloves / safety glasses, not near the sea and with a bucket on hand to put them in if they don't go off). It's possibly illegal anyway but I think with handheld ones you are unlikely to cause a false alarm / set fire to something. I wouldn't set parachute flares off like that though.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:40 am

Hi,
Please do not set off parachute flares inland, they reach the ground still burning & have caused fires.
Ken

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:02 am

http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:40 am

Ken_T wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:40 am
Hi,
Please do not set off parachute flares inland, they reach the ground still burning & have caused fires.
Ken
Yes, I was thinking of handheld flares only. Ken, thanks for this important correction.

Olivier