Diveria and other Piemonte rivers.

Inland paddling
murraypeden

Diveria and other Piemonte rivers.

Post by murraypeden » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Does anyone have any up to date information on rivers outside of Val Sesia? The Gerd Spilker guidebook has loads but the information seems pretty out of date. It seems that there was releases on the Diveria 10 years ago or so. Is that still the case?

Simon Westgarth

Re: Diveria and other Piemonte rivers.

Post by Simon Westgarth » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 pm

murraypeden

Post by murraypeden » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi Simon, the Dèvero looks pretty good however I was hoping someone had information on the Diveria in the next valley to the south. Google earth shows really promising rock features and the Gert Spilker guide speaks highly of it but I'm pretty sure their release information is well out of date. Have you heard of anyone running it recently?

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:30 pm

All the catchments south of Dèvero in the Upper Toce Valley
Bogna: https://ckfiumi.net/consulta.phtml/474/548
Ovesca: https://ckfiumi.net/fiume.phtml/317\
Anza: https://ckfiumi.net/fiume.phtml/304

murraypeden

Post by murraypeden » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:50 am

Thank you for linking those other guides, the Divaria is however the catchment between the Dèvero and Bogna (see map). It appears to have a good boulder run between the Swiss border and the hydro 6km down stream. From what you can see on google street view it also looks pretty good although the pictures are from august so the flows are low. The summary in the "Wildwasser Führer Piemont" translates roughly to:
Put In: At the middle customs station above the sign km Hotel Gaby.
Take Out: At the first oblique weir with water drainage or 500 m after the next weir with mostly complete abstraction.
Length: 7 km, 3 hours.
Character: Powerful, crystal clear wild river. Steep, confusing cataracts between large, smooth-cut granite blocks.
Grades: Right at the start WW6. After the shield falling to 5 + with three digits WW6. Then easier until the first oblique weir. There on the 500 m between the weirs two high wastes, WW6 +. Overall heavier than bottom Ruetz gorge.
Special hazards: too high water level. High flow speed.
Season: up to and including summer.
I was wondering if it has been paddled in the last few years or if too much of the water is now abstracted by the dam above the get on. The only more recent information I can find describes 3 sections and daily dam releases:

viewtopic.php?t=5942#p43205

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/139771379430893/ and ask there.

brunolb

Post by brunolb » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi,

We paddled this section 20Y ago. I am afraid there is a new hydro in place now, did not see any water anymore for the past 10Y or so... That said, there are still other options in the area, Toce, Anza, ... (as well as small tributary to the Diveria, Landwasser?, a quick and speedy run, quite alpine feel). I was happily surprised by the Upper Anza last year, not unlike the middle Verzasca but longer at the grade (not sure how often this has water though, last year had quite good snowpack).
If all fails in Toce valley, it is quick hop over to Sesia drainage or Tessin area.

Bruno

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”