North Shore Atlantic RM for surfing?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
mikkelkg

North Shore Atlantic RM for surfing?

Post by mikkelkg » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Hello there

In my ongoing search for a plastic kayak that I can use for surfing I'm now considering the North Shore Atlantic RM as an option. So far I've tried the Sirona and a Delphin 155. The Sirona was a bit too tight and while the fit of the Delphin 155 was very nice, I'm wondering if it is too much of a surf kayak if I also wanted to use it for teaching and the occasional daytrip?

In my previous club I often paddled the Atlantic RM but I never did any surfing in it so I would also appreciate any views on how well it surfs.

mcgruff

Re: North Shore Atlantic RM for surfing?

Post by mcgruff » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:57 pm

The Epic V5 has a plastic option. The extra control of a surfski rudder could be nice for surfing. Although it's 14ft the hull design means the waterline is equivalent to longer boats with traditional, overhanging ends.

For teaching, a beginner might find the open cockpit & drama-free capsize less intimidating - on the other hand they're not going to learn much about rolling.

Bazza S

Re: North Shore Atlantic RM for surfing?

Post by Bazza S » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:04 am

If you get the opportunity to try a Valley Gemini in the surf you may very impressed. Whenever I surf in a sea kayak that's what I use and have a very high opinion of it. I find it just as quick as other kayaks which have more length. Where are you based in case I know of someone who may let you try one. I have one on the for sale section but it's glass fibre so probably not of interest to you but try a plastic version.