Suitable Playboat/Freestyle kayak

Inland paddling
Doorman

Suitable Playboat/Freestyle kayak

Post by Doorman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Dear all,
First time using so bear with. I am planning on leaving my kayak club and buying my own freestyle. Been kayaking 4/5 years now at the same place/club and would like to advance and have a change of scene. However finding kayaks is easier said than done. I am 50kg and about 5ft1 and still growing (young teen).

Price is an objective and therefore looking for a second hand one absolutely no more than £500 (ideally £200/£300 mark).

Things I value is comfortable (seat especially), not too slow, fun (not in a park and play but generally),suited to mainly river running, bit of flat water and a bit of waves. I will only be doing basic moves but if it could do some slightly more sophisticated that is cool :). edgy is also fine (more fun the merrier).

Another major consideration is length no more than 185cm ( shorter fine too).

So far considering Robson NRG/dagger g-force but suggestions for others boats are great as well as offers and reviews for any/those specified.

Look forward to seeing what you come back with.

Doorman

Re: Suitable Playboat/Freestyle kayak

Post by Doorman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Also forgot to mention light a possible- I often go on walks by rivers and that is the main source of use so will often be walking long distance with it:)

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:03 am

If you are wanting it to be suited to mainly river running and you only need to do basic moves in it, then perhaps an out and out Freestyle kayak is not actually what you are looking for?

What do you consider as a basic move?

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:38 pm

I thought playboat because it needs to be short, light and I want to progress in kayaking in the areas I am (no white water or fun like that). I was just looking for a more fun and advanced kayaking style

banzer

Post by banzer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Mark Mulrain wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:03 am
If you are wanting it to be suited to mainly river running and you only need to do basic moves in it, then perhaps an out and out Freestyle kayak is not actually what you are looking for?

What do you consider as a basic move?
Hmmm... for me, airscrews, as a most basic minumum.....
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Yes, it will only be moves like an airscrew. I am not a budding freestyle star but I'd like a boat that can do the basics and a bit more if I ever want to

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:00 am

Went to my kayaking club yesterday morning. Another person my age but larger is getting a g-force.

Would this work for me?
Or are there more suitable boats (e.g robson NRG)?

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:36 am

Just been looking around would dagger jitsu or Pyranha Jed. Which is better for me or are neither suitable?

Franky

Post by Franky » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Doorman wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:36 am
Just been looking around would dagger jitsu or Pyranha Jed. Which is better for me or are neither suitable?
Nobody can answer that question for you. You need either to (a) try them both out, or (b) take a chance on one of them.

Whatever you buy, you will probably get used to it unless it is totally the wrong size for you. Statistics about height and weight don't help all that much - so much depends on how the boat feels to you.

Lots of people buy a boat and after a year or two decide it's not for them, even if they've demoed it. It's always a bit of a gamble.

If you've got a small budget, that limits your options - which may not be such a bad thing, because too much choice can be a curse.

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks. I may go with the the jitsu as it looks right now because of the outfitting (looks so comfortable)!

What about robson nrg compared? which is better?

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:54 pm

And does anyone now good place to get kayaks (2nd or 1st hand)? Been looking at e-bay+gumtree and places like that and the ‘kayaks and paddles’ chain. Does anyone now other good ones?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”