Valley Sirona 16.1 RM - fit?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
DiscoKayak

Valley Sirona 16.1 RM - fit?

Post by DiscoKayak » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a Valley Sirona 16.1 RM since I've heard many good things about it. However, I don't really have the option of trying it out before placing an order, so I'm looking for some advice about how it fits.

I currently own a Tiderace Xcite which fits me very well, before I bought my own kayak, I paddled a Valley Etain 17.5 RM and a North Shore Atlantic RM and both of those also fit me very well. Would it be reasonable to assume that I would also fit the Sirona based on this?

Hopefully you can offer me some advice.

on the rocks

Re: Valley Sirona 16.1 RM - fit?

Post by on the rocks » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:23 pm

The Sirona was on my short list too from what I read about it. However when I tried one it handled totally different to what I had expected and didn't suit what I was looking for. It's a big investment and worth the expense and time to arrange demos. Maybe a weekend trip to Anglesey where you can arrange demos with Summit to Sea and the local manufacturers?

Sam Sandwich

Post by Sam Sandwich » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm

I've demo'd the Sirona and loved it. However...

I demo'd at a club on a reseller demo day. Out of around 15 people, I seemed to be the only one that loved it.

Coaches jumped into it and wobbled everywhere. I believe it is about fit but it fitted me well. The seat can be adjusted to a lower position changing the centre of gravity. Its oerformance is phenomenal. Its quick yet will turn on a sixpence and edges beautifully.

It really is a fantastic boat but please dont buy this or any other boat until youve tried it and in water. Most resellers will let you try before you buy. Valley kayaks are renownedfor a slightly idiosyncratic fit, so you might get lucky if other valley boats fit. Id call either the seller or valley to ask them about fit!

I will be buying one either this year or next.

Good luck!
To see a world in a grain of sand

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:02 am

Where are you?
I've got a Sirona in Somerset you're welcome to try. I also have an Xcite and fit that. I paddle the Sirona a lot more!!

I've also got an Aquanaut LV and have paddled an Etain 17.5 and fit all perfectly. I did lower the seat in the Sirona, not for fit, but to lower the centre of gravity and it transformed the boat!

DiscoKayak

Post by DiscoKayak » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, I don't live in the UK so I won't be able to take your up on your offer. Might I ask how tall you are, Fozzy? Just for comparison. I'm 6.1 and weigh about 175 lbs.

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 pm

The Etain 17.5RM and Sirona 16.1 RM are supposed to be the same fit and I have found that is the case. I find the 16.1Rm stable and very manoeuverable.
It is a slightly bigger fit than the Atlantic RM.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:31 pm

I'm 5'10 and 185lbs My son is 6'1 and 190 and he fits fine as well. I carry my weight high which is why lowering the seat was good for me.

DiscoKayak

Post by DiscoKayak » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. I finally managed to demo a Sirona 16.1 RM after quite a drive. Sadly, I found the thigh braces a bit uncomfortable since they dug into my thighs. Any ideas on whether it would be possible alter the braces in anyway? Or would lowering the seat perhaps solve it?