waterproof camera for sea kayaking

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
on the rocks

waterproof camera for sea kayaking

Post by on the rocks » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm planning to get a waterproof camera rather than relying on my mobile phone in a waterproof case.

The Olympus Tg-5 looks very good but at a price. It seems to me that all the waterproof compact options suffer from two limitations compared to a DSLR or good quality non-waterproof compact: A small sensor size and a zoom lens that has a construction that allows it to be wholly contained within the camera's waterproof body. The Olympus having a slightly better wider aperture lens and ability for Raw files but I'm not sure of the extra cost is worth it to me for the marginal benefit?

With the Fujifilm XP 130 now going for £100 I'm tempted for purely sea kayak use. Does anyone have any comments positive or negative from using the XP-130?

Mrstratos61

Re: waterproof camera for sea kayaking

Post by Mrstratos61 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 pm

I use a tg5 .my only ripe is my version of photoshop and lightgroom dont support the raw files

Dave Gorman

Post by Dave Gorman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:25 pm

I use the TG5. I'm very pleased with it. I'm careful with it and I rinse it with fresh water whenever it's been used on the sea. I keep it in the airing cupboard when I'm at home, along with my other electronic equipment such as VHF and PLB. I chose the TG5 because of the stated robustness and the good reviews. Expensive, yes, but I wanted something that would cope with real conditions, and the inevitable, eventual accidental drop (hasn't happened yet but it will I'm sure). I keep a wrist float attached (Nordic Flash, pack of two)
even when it's on the boat and I make sure it is securely attached to the decklines. I also keep it in a hard case when not in use. Camera, card and case were bought from Bristol Cameras.
⚓🙂

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Nikon AW1 was excellent but isn't available any more - but if you see one second-hand it's worth considering.
It was an interchangeable lens camera with a reasonable sensor size and is capable of producing very good quality images.
The negatives - It's a bit bigger than the compacts but is still manageable in a BA pocket. There's no direct vision finder and the display blacks out if you are wearing polarised sunglasses and the zoom range of the lens isn't particularly impressive. The lenses and the display can also mist up internally in hot sunshine (not usually a problem in Scotland)
Positives - excellent image quality for a waterproof camera, rugged, takes any of the Nikon 1 lenses, manual lens zoom is very intuitive and there's the option of a faster (f2.8) WA (28mm equivalent) lens to make it a bit more compact.
There were only ever 2 waterproof lenses available for it but all the Nikon 1 lenses will fit and can be used
So much sea - so little time to see it.

almorris1

Post by almorris1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Maybe look at the Ricoh WG60? Much the same as tg5 but cheaper.

Also from experience I wouldn't be too fussed about a lack of access to RAW files. It is one thing having RAW files, another the ability to manipulate them to a satisfactory output, that needs to be converted back to JPEG anyways.

Pipit

Post by Pipit » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Mrstratos61 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 pm
I use a tg5 .my only ripe is my version of photoshop and lightgroom dont support the raw files
Download the free Acrobat DNG converter which converts the .orf files to DNG and makes them useable in Photoshop. I'm using Photoshop CS6 64bit with TG-5 converted .orf files.

yippie kayak

Post by yippie kayak » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:06 am

Hi ,
I have used Olympus Tough for about 5 years, (Now on my second one), If you want to see footage shot on them click the link.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:57 am

I am in the very fortunate position of being loaned a TG-4 because the owner has upgraded to a TG-5. These cameras really live up to their 'Tough' name and reputation for quality and flexibility. My (very generous) mate has been snapping some amazing stuff with is new TG-5, while I have been using his old TG-4 and also getting some great results on the water. I guess what I am saying is have a look for a second hand TG-4 as the original owners may be upgrading.

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:06 pm

By sheer coincidence I was about to list a TG4 for sale. I've upgraded to a TG5! Red, very good condition, comes with original box, DVD, paperwork, a charger (not Olympus), a 16 GB memory card and a Lowe Alpine soft case. I'm looking for £160 posted. PM me if you are interested.

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks, that’s tempting but so are the extra benefits of the tg-5, particularly larger pixels for Image quality, exposure compensation and double glazed front to reduce risk of condensation. I’ll think it over and get back to you