Cockpit identification

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Crosby

Cockpit identification

Post by Crosby » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:26 pm

I have an old Nordkapp (1988) that has a non-original cockpit and am trying to determine what sea kayak it was originally intended for.
Thanks for any info or ideas.

MikeB

Re: Cockpit identification

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:27 pm

Well, it may be non-original, but whoever put that in did an exceptional job! Can you post pics of the complete boat - that might help. That colour scheme is reminiscent of some of the N/kapp (or similar) inspired surf-rescue kayaks. I'm wondering if that might be an answer?

Crosby

Post by Crosby » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 pm

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:39 pm

I’d like to know how that cockpit mod was achieved.

Crosby

Post by Crosby » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:39 pm

I bought the kayak used in 2005 and didn't know the cockpit was unusual until a guy who has had many similar kayaks told me it wasn't original.
I don't know who did the mod and was trying to determine what type of cockpit is in the kayak. I thought it may be from a different brand of British sea kayak but since I am in Canada it may have come from a manufacturer here.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 pm

As above, it's been very neatly done. The cockpit moulding appears to be an unusual shape; compared to other sea kayaks the rim is more pointed towards the front, and the seat is well forward. It could be from any kayak design, not necessarily a sea kayak, and given the neatness of the modification it could have been custom made to match the deck profile; whoever fitted it to the boat would have had the skill to make a mould.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:42 am

The seat position & narrower front would suggest it was for a smaller paddler. It may be a one-off from the manufacturer, built for a particular customer, or testing an alternative shape, as looks too good a job for a replacement...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Crosby

Post by Crosby » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the replies to my posting and for all the information.
Crosby

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Whatever it is, and the workmanship looks excellent btw, ☺ it was a long time ago. The single piece RDFs were only fitted to the very first mid 70's Nordys, and soon replaced with the black ABS screw-in inserts. That is not to say the cockpit wasn't fitted (much) later, but it looks aged with the deck. Please consider adding details of this boat to the Nordy section in the Almanac.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:41 pm

I note from the floating photo it is an HM, which narrows it a bit further. I'm guessing it started life with an ocean cockpit. The seat bucket btw looks more like from a ww boat or surf shoe than a sea kayak, given the highish thigh lip and splayed leg position. What is the rear deck like? Day hatch, chimp pump, retrofitting or neither?
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Crosby

Post by Crosby » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:29 pm

The rear deck has a single small hatch and a chimp pump.