How do you break a boat?

Inland paddling
banzer

How do you break a boat?

Post by banzer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Silly question...

Are most broken boats caused by out-of-boat experiences i.e. a heavy boat filled with water wraps around / smashes against a rock and splits / dents.... or by wear and tear in use, both incidental and accidental?

The reason I ask is that there seem to be a lot of broken or welded boats out there. It always used to be Burns with the nose stoved in, but it doesn't the newer ones don't seem any more robust. One lad said he needed a new shell for a Tuna then that broke as well.

Personally I have worn mine out on shallow Scottish ditches, gradually leading to splits in the hull. Never stoved the nose in despite several pitons (the Magnum was particularly abused in this way and always stood up to it).

How have you broken yours?? Fair wear and tear or did you feel it should have stood up better?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Terryg

Re: How do you break a boat?

Post by Terryg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Sliced through the hull on sharp rocks (x3)

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Terryg wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Creek boats or slalom boats?

I lose track of the damage I have done to my slalom boats - but all with me in them (my C1 has had some lucky solo runs, but pretty sure all the damage was done with me in the driving seat, if not in control), mostly running over sharp dark coloured rocks hiding on or just off the racing line, but also slamming sideways into rapid blocs can crack the area around the cockpit, and shark bites out of the rear rail are from hitting rocks and concrete walls in pivot turns....

WWR boats are mixture of running over sharp dark coloured rocks hiding on or just off the racing line, running over obvious rocks because I'm not so good at steering, but quite often from tapping the tail on the rock that forms a wave or pourover that the rest of the boat clears nicely, but being so long, the stern is still above when the boat drops and ends up getting smacked. At Christmas it was combo of running over rocks I could see and smashing into a wall because I forgot to check the tide times before hiking up to run the Ewe and despite taking an educated guess that there would be more water than when I scouted it on the way up, there was less, and it really wasn't read and run at that speed.

Creek boats. Tricky, I dented the bow of my spud a few times but it always restored with application of warm water, never holed. My burn has had some of the splits re-welded presumably from running over rocks, but given that it already had 5 welded splits when I got it from Neil Farmer and all I have done is re-split the old splits I'm not sure I have really damaged it myself...

Play boats. The damage on my glide was due to coming off a mates roof rack, it has been bomb proof on the rivers. Creeking in my Session+ did cause the seat bolts to elongate their holes and eventually pulled the backstrap through the cockpit rim, but both problems were fixable. Never holed it.

Canoes. My old Ocoee suffered some denting in the ends which broke the vinyl inner skin which was repaired with G-flex and fibreglass - probably done with me in it hitting rocks, although I think one dent was from dropping it whilst scouting something on the upper Roy (not the trip where I took a swim and we had to haul it off a rock). No damage to my Option, and my Extasy hasn't had many trips, she survived a few swims on the Upper Tryweryn though. My Apache 16 I ran almost halfway up onto a rock on the Spey loaded with camping kit and just scratched the gel coat a little bit - so much for fibreglass canoes being fragile!

I think you have to try pretty hard to break a boat, I probably don't paddle steep enough stuff to do it to a PE boat these days.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Cracks in hull due to wear and busted ends due to swims.
dave

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:50 pm

My Raptor got a split under the seat after bouncing off a rock on the way down a big feature (Leny).

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:01 pm

I managed to put a dent in my Wavesport Diesel by running it at speed into some swimming pool steps 😉

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Jim wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:48 pm
Terryg wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Creek boats or slalom boats?

Creek boats. One on East Lyn, one on Gyr, and one on Claree.
(One slalom boat torn apart in a stopper at Shepperton).

davieq

Post by davieq » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Ripped the bottom out of my beloved Inazone on very sharp rocks in Ness Glen. Took the nose and tail (on the same day) of my Supernova slalom boat surfing off Irvine beach. Also did some damage to my Riot Nitro after a long painful swim on the Bachelard (what a beautiful river though !!!)

MikeVeal

Post by MikeVeal » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:19 pm

I know of two Mambas with bent bows. Both caused when the boat was allowed to navigate G4 rapid with many gallons of water where there should instead of been sitting a paddler.

Mine now has a front air bag.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:27 pm

Davie, I think there is hidden metalwork on the weir at the put in for the Ness Glen. I'd forgotten about that, it slices boats up well (not mine).

Steve Agar

Post by Steve Agar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 pm

...not to mention unplanned departure from a roof rack at speed.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:12 pm

The only plastic boat I broke was my beloved Pyranha Stunt 300. It had the infamous double concave hull which despite working quite well from a performance point of view earned a bad reputation for splitting when you landed on a rock. The rock in my case was on the Colwyn, it could be seen quite clearly and it was obvious that you didn't want to land on it, but despite this I ended up doing just that. I had it repaired with a plastic weld, but it broke a few months later right alongside the repair when I put it down a bit heavily on the rocks when getting on at Triple Step on the Guil. I still paddled the section, just stopping above any major features to empty out.

A few years ago I was on a trip on the Mawddach catching the snow melt, the road to the put-in still had quite a lot of snow on it so we didn't chance driving which left us with a long walk-in. My I3 was relatively light compared the the creek boats the rest of the group were using so I managed to carry it, but the others ended up dragging their boats across the snow, except one who dragged his almost brand new boat along the road. About 200 metres into the trip the hull split badly and that was the end of the trip for him. He didn't get too far with claiming off the manufacturer either as the boat had clearly been abused. The trip didn't end too well for me either, the I3 was a bit of a handful on what was quite a high Mawddach and I ended up swimming twice, badly bruising my shoulder going wrong (right) on the 6m waterfall and bouncing off the rock half-way down and then losing my boat on the first of the 3 nasties.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

davieq

Post by davieq » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Jim wrote "Davie, I think there is hidden metalwork on the weir at the put in for the Ness Glen. I'd forgotten about that, it slices boats up well (not mine)."

Yes Jim, being a relative local we all knew about the weir at the get in, we never used to run it. Ness Glen was our training ground for a number of years running it 4 times a week, great when there was no water elsehwere, it is now sadly tree chocked in a lot of places and a few of the rapids have changed. Really miss it.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 pm

A friend nose dived hubbys Everest off a small waterfall into a shallow rock. The damage wasn't too bad so it was back on the water the next day :)
I can roll :)

Frank B

Post by Frank B » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am

Split the nose on my Burn when running into the face of Backbarrow Bridge with me inside several years ago. Had it welded a couple of times but it kept opening up. Sold it for spares

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Frank B wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am
Split the nose on my Burn when running into the face of Backbarrow Bridge with me inside several years ago.
Best to aim for the hole in the middle.... :-)

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Dropping it off the roof of a moving car seemed to work quite well based on the state of the perception scooter in the back of the van yesterday!

And having the rafters cut it while unpinning it from Town Falls on the Dee seemed to do a thorough job ;)

Turning the trailer on it's side failed utterly counldn't even spot any big scratches.
I can roll :)

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:18 pm

With ease, normally via wear and tear on the water. 3 x Nomad's to date, 1 on in the Findhorn Gorge, 1 on the Hindburn and 1 on the Roeburn. Still I was having loads of fun and as usual pushing myself outside of my confort zone in high water.

Peter

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:51 pm

One squirt boat split along the seams when pencilling when surfing. One Perception Whip-it when turning too late from a wave breaking onto rocks at Lahinch beach.
My Burn split under the seat when on lend to the local University club, as a study-abroad student swam on the Sermenza Slides.

Other than that, no other broken boats for me, I've been relatively lucky in 25 years of paddling.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:03 am

Just seen a video of the back end of a kayak "exploding" off whilst running a steep slide / waterfall, but it was a prototype...
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”