Cold feet fatigue

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Boatsie

Cold feet fatigue

Post by Boatsie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12 pm

https://www.whalenation.reviews/kayaking-muscles/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25849289/
http://www.ebtc.ie/painful-numb-legs-when-kayaking/

I hadn't realized that my work boots were torn through both inner and outer sole and everything between . Cold storage worker. Cold feet. This fatigued me. My usual paddle then took twice as long and with painful legs.
I couldn't find the article that explains leg muscles in kayaks nearer my language preference but it was written by a bloke whom used to tire quickly until someone explained to him to kick the boat forward with the side that the oar is bracing. I'm a fan of that because 60% of the effort becomes that from your legs and your leg muscles are your biggest muscles. (Note.. More like a gentle push boat away kick as the blade slips grip). I hadn't realized about cold feet until the other day. After finding the split in the boots (it is huge but closed when not on the balls of the feet), I replaced the boots and yesterday being the day I replaced them I had ship loads more energy again.

Probably most of you guys/girls are colder waters than I, do you guys/girls wear wet shoes or something? Because with warm legs basically every kayak is comfortable, cold feet become cold legs and the most comfortable kayak feels harse within an hour.
Also wondering about upper leg bracing. Currently only the rough water kayak has below deck mounted near knee braces but I was wondering if anyone uses foam and strap directly upon their legs? I'm guessing that'd be comfortable, easy to bail and a pretty simple thing to make.

jamesl2play

Re: Cold feet fatigue

Post by jamesl2play » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:32 pm

My view is that any upper leg bracing should be discouraged. It is not necessary in a sea kayak. The same goes for a back rest. Stablity comes from using the paddle the feet and the top hand.
The footrest should be adjusted so that you can brace with the thighs either passively or dynamically depending on the conditions. This aids circulation which helps keep the feet warm.

adventureagent

Re: Cold feet fatigue

Post by adventureagent » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Footwear for cold weather are a pair of these:

www.nrs.com/product/2308/nrs-boundary-shoe

Note that some of the company's reviewers even use them for snow blowing, rather than normal bootwear. That suggest warmth.

As to foam strapped to the thigh, I think chances are good that they will be very difficult to "anchor" to a fixed position. Further, I think they will roll with any movement of the paddler. Additionally, in a good many decades of paddling, I've never heard or read of such and I've not seen such. I would not want it to dislodge in a bailout and jam me in the boat. I'm scared enough sometimes. (though in "the golden years" I have less of this for some reason ...)

I found that exaggerating the pedal action of a proper stroke keeps circulation going to the toes and give warmth. It also eliminates that "painful numbness" one sometimes gets when you lock too tightly in the boat.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !