Strip plank

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Boatsie

Strip plank

Post by Boatsie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:56 am

Is this a good buy?
I've never built a boat, I won't start building anytime soon, I'm just collecting information.

http://www.paulowniatimber.com.au/marine.php

Looks perfect. 6*18mm bead/cove strips. Hardwood, buoyant, 260-290kg per cubic metre.

Anyone know any flaws of Paulownia?; Japanese princess tree? I'm guessing the beautiful royal ladies must have been claiming these trees such as to construct their boats.
Smart girls.
I like it because it's half the price of similarly machined red cedar and removes need of much machinery.

Off topic. Sunburnt. Glad of Aloe Vera and stoked to read that Hawaii is banning cigarette sales. Smart men

With bumps during the night.
Sunburn during the light.
I'm guessing a glass shieve would sandwich good because the Kevlar is delaminating.
Happy paddles, the wilderness below loves too.

Boatsie

Re: Strip plank

Post by Boatsie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 am

I read well.. Writing.. Argh...
6*20mm 30% less cost than 6*18mm cove/bead.
Table router $69.(less than the cost difference between straight edge and bead/cove and allows a stronger join on the ends of the shorter pieces.. I've never built, if wrong please correct me, others read too. Just wanting as few butt join glues as possible.
Cutting from wider pieces also reduces cost but lining up and squaring a sharp quality blade is too much hassle to me.
Local supplies cedar cut from 4 metre lengths which might be used to stripe Hull as well because of the contrasting colour.
God bless, thank you, looking forward to building a boat.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Boatsie, I built the first Vember using Pawlonia, as did Plymouth Damo for his Vember Expedition. The free Build Manual, included in the plans download as a PDF, shows this in photos.
I now just use strips without the cove and bead, as described in the Manual. Making one's own cove and bead without professional quality tools would be tricky.
Nick

Boatsie

Post by Boatsie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Nick, Vember looks amazing. The Vembex suits my 96kg body weight. I'm grateful to read small tips such as the black epoxy staining along the keel. That's brilliant.

http://cnckayaks.com/vember/

Many times I'd rather a skeg to grab face and no steerage pedals to distract from leg pressure but I can't even roll so don't mind limitations along the learning curve. As long as the swim's <400m 👍.

Finding these sites useful too.

https://www.clcboats.com
https://www.guillemot-kayaks.com

Thanks.. Nathan

Boatsie

Post by Boatsie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Found an article from April 29-2004 "Greenland paddles"
Jist...Red Cedar is toxic, wear a mask. Guessing Paulownia similar.

My real want is a fast basic boat and a storm Greenland paddle to utilize as a skeg to surf outside the harbour heads with. Change in depth an abrupt 10-12 fathom, a protected gulf and an oceans momentum that seasonally aligns with such although loses much of her momentum. Best surf day was about 7miles of surf sharing the wave with a dolphin pod.
Thanks to you guys, slowly getting there again. My kayaking skills are still ship though but she'll be 'right when I know how to roll. Long broad waves and a stick with cloth should power her plenty.
I wouldn't have known that wood can be toxic, that surprised me.

(From memory with thoughts of other guys that actually have the skills as it is as complex as hanging out at Port Vincent, lining up an ocean swell (thinking early spring alignment), waiting upon a southwesterly which is fairly common and pointing the nose towards the tits of Mount Lofty. You'll know when your near the section banks, it's shallow, the big rays fly around below and waves are wide yet rideable. I can't remember the tide. Must have been flooding though because she'd have been dry near the heads if she wasn't flooded. I'll probably never coordinate that, I wasn't skipper. A shallow short yatch. Always wanted to coordinate a kayak since).
(Remembered, tide was flooding because the hungary flockers must have been headed in to feed, mama slammed our keel changing our direction as to prevent us from slamming the calf and we were way higher than the Port Vincent to Large bay line. A fast kayak should do that pace easily too. I was kayaking 3-4 days per week back then but not sea kayaking).
Godspeed

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Probably easier to list the woods that are not toxic... or at least harmful.

www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/wis30.pdf

simon52

Post by simon52 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi, just reading posts ref strip cedar. If anyone is interested i have enough coved strip cedar - 20mm x 6mm to build a 15 foot canoe available for £200. Its been sitting in the garage for a while all bundled up. If anyone is interested i can dig it out and give a more accurate description ref number of strips / lengths etc.Buyer would have to collect from Wirral
Ta, Simon