Thule 520 Uprights

Commercial gear, films, books, etc.
tomfishh

Thule 520 Uprights

Post by tomfishh » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I was about to buy some Thule 520 uprights which I was particularly drawn to as they fold down. The user manual online claims the max load to be "2x25kg". Does anyone know if is this overall or per bar? If overall, then that would limit to 2-3 boats only which is a surprise.

Does anyone know the max load on the palm uprights or similar?

Thanks,
Tom

Chris Bolton

Re: Thule 520 Uprights

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:38 pm

I would expect it to be per upright, but I don't understand the logic of giving a weight (vertical load) capacity for an upright. The upright is there to take sideways force, which for a kayak is more dependent on the area subject to side winds than the weight. Weight only affects the force when cornering, which can't be huge or you'd slide off the driving seat. I strap the boats the the horizontal bar and just use the upright to keep the boats on edge; it's mostly friction that stops them sliding sideways. I've seen people with no uprights strap two boats together in a block then strap that down to the bars, without a problem, but I'd use uprights for preference.

I don't like the Thule uprights - they waste a lot of space and for some hull shapes the knobs that you undo to fold them down can touch the hull.