Which boat to get.

Inland paddling
Lakeside

Which boat to get.

Post by Lakeside » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Advice needed foe a newbie. I think I need a kayak nor a canoe but wonder more about storage space out of the water, i.e should I get and inflatable or a foldable. I have tiny amount of paddling experience but have done several Triathlons so a swimmer. I have Citroen Berlingo which I can use as micro camper. I do long distance hikes and often think as I camp near water if I had a boat I could go for paddle there for nothing serious intended.
Is it possible for me to hire equipment for experience

Strad

Re: Which boat to get.

Post by Strad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Sounds cheesy - try a club, you'll get a load of help and usually some boats to try out and see what works for you. If you are only going for flat water don't discount SUPs,
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Lakeside

Post by Lakeside » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks Strad there is club not far away from me. Seems Dagger boats if that is the right name are popular there.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am

Dagger is a brand, just one of many though. I'm not aware that they make inflatables or folders, but lots of different kinds of solid boats.

I haven't really understood what you are wanting a boat for:
- Is it just one place you camp and hike from or lots of different places?
- Are you thinking of a lakeside spot or river bank?
- Is the campsite by the car/Berlingo or are you planning to hike for a day with the boat and then camp and potter about?
- How limited is your storage space?
- Do you want to use it year round or mostly in the warmer months?
- Are you envisaging quite long paddling sessions, using the boat to get access to more remote spots to explore or just a bit of a potter about watching wildlife, maybe fishing or something?

Don't worry - your goals may well change once you get into it, but I think it helps to choose a boat initially if you have some idea what you think you might want to do.

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 am

There's not much wrong with getting a simple inflatable from Decathlon or similar (Sevylor ones are cheap and cheerful) and pottering about lakes and flat rivers.

Be very aware of - getting blown out to sea, I would avoid the sea if any sign of wind, and stay close to shore; also low hanging trees on rivers that you could get swept under.

Joining a local club is a good idea.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Lakeside

Post by Lakeside » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:42 am

More information;
-Are you thinking of a lakeside spot or river bank? -Could be either.
- Is the campsite by the car/Berlingo or are you planning to hike for a day with the boat and then camp and potter about? -Campsite by Berlingo
- How limited is your storage space?- No room in the garden shed, no garage but garden area available.
- Do you want to use it year round or mostly in the warmer months? -Warmer months
- Are you envisaging quite long paddling sessions- Not multi day paddles