Campervan Scotland - where to stay

Inland paddling
banzer

Campervan Scotland - where to stay

Post by banzer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 am

Hi all

Taking the family campervanning in May half term. I know Scotland pretty well but haven't done a van trip before. I think ideally we would do alternate nights in a camp site of sorts with facilities, and out in the wilds. Probably do the usual trek up to Fort Bill, Mallaig, Loch Ness, maybe back down the A9. Might possibly bring a wee boat just in case...

Can anyone recommend nice, well-located campsites or 'campervan parks', and/or quiet free spaces where overnight parking is allowed?

P.M. me if you don't want to share your secrets with the world although that's hardly the point of a forum is it ;P

Thanks
Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

G7AFM

Re: Campervan Scotland - where to stay

Post by G7AFM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 am

Take a look here you can either search the relevent area section or you can join & download the poi file with locations for a sat nav.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/forum.php

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Since highland council admitted that there is no legal basis for 'no overnight camping signs' in laybys I beleive they have all been taken down - as I recall there is something in RTA that allows sleeping in laybys since it can be necessary for safety reasons. I have a feeling it applies within a certain distance of the highway so may not apply to well set back laybys which are of course the most desirable ones!

There are usually campers parked up in the set back laybys along the fast stretch by loch lomond (sometimes travellers encampments), although I'm not sure those would be my favourite spots. There are some good looking laybys between Crianlarich and Killin which often have campers in. The car park half way up Loch Lochy also looks like a decent spot, probably exposed if its windy. If you have a small van the viewpoint in Glen Roy is nice, but it is upstream from the hairpins at Allt Iondrainn so don't try getting a big coachbuilt van up to it! Watch out for gated car parks, many of them are left open all night in winter, but may be locked up overnight in May - I know the Glencoe car park (where the visitor centre used to be before they moved it) usually fills with campers quite early in the evening in winter, but I've never looked in May or noticed if the gate gets locked. I've heard of people getting locked in at Firkin point on loch Lomond.

For campsites the holiday park at Inverlochy has always been OK when I've used it for WWPF. I spend quite a few nights in the SCA campsite in Grandtully, but I'm told that for a family it is not much cheaper than the Aberfeldy site and the facilities aren't as nice (seems cheap enough to me on my own in a tent, and more convenient for the rapid). There are some campsites around Arisaig way - given how much of a honeypot destination that is these days it is probably better to use a proper site there than try to find a layby, I used one once but I don't remember much about it! If you get to Skye, the Dunvegan campsite has always been very friendly with a great view up the loch.

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi Banzer, I have a caravan and know the Scottish sites pretty well.

Fort William: I usually stay in the Glen Nevis or Loch Linnhe sites. There's also a cute family-run one in Roy Bridge.

Loch Ness: the only ones I know are Faichemard (but I think that has a "no kids" rule) and Ardtower. Ardtower is very clean and organised but not super close to the rivers. However, we could meet for a Findhorn run?

A9: The ones around Pitlochry are good. I usually stay at Milton of Fonab but Faskally may be more kid friendly.

Hope this gives you some ideas, I could go on if you need more. Robin

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:37 pm

There is a lovely area to camp in the leadhills, B797 between Wanlockhead and Mennock, if you catch it empty it's magical, but sometimes can be a bit NED heavy. Puts you very close to the river Nith.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:51 am

If you can get on for half term, Silversands site at Arisaig is one of my favourites, especially if you get a front pitch with views over to Eigg and Rum.

Send a text to the owner John on 07716 231727 to enquire or book.

Facilities are clean and adequate, if a little dated, but this view from the pitch makes up for that....

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:58 am

I forgot to mention, the site in Drumnadrochit is pretty good. That could be a good stop over between Fort William and Inverness.

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:24 am

Jim wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:07 pm
- I know the Glencoe car park (where the visitor centre used to be before they moved it) usually fills with campers quite early in the evening in winter, but I've never looked in May or noticed if the gate gets locked.
I'm not sure where the visitor centre used to be. Are you referring to the parking area river left immediately above the Coe Gorge? This would seem a nice spot to me, good access to the pub as well...
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:10 pm

banzer wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:24 am
Jim wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:07 pm
- I know the Glencoe car park (where the visitor centre used to be before they moved it) usually fills with campers quite early in the evening in winter, but I've never looked in May or noticed if the gate gets locked.
I'm not sure where the visitor centre used to be. Are you referring to the parking area river left immediately above the Coe Gorge? This would seem a nice spot to me, good access to the pub as well...
Yes that's the spot, I think its called An Torr now. I never really noticed the old visitor centre but it was reckoned to be an eyesore and there was a campaign to have it removed. I'm sure there must be an old guidebook that talks about optionally putting on at the visitor centre to do Clachaig gorge :) It is a fantastic spot!