Another tragic kayaking fatality in Nepal.

Inland paddling
Slime

Another tragic kayaking fatality in Nepal.

Post by Slime » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 pm

From news reports - POKHARA: 29th November. A 23-year-old Australian national Cassandra Ecise Emary has died while kayaking the Seti river in Pokhara of Nepal, on Thursday, police said. Emary had sustained serious injuries and was pronounced dead by the doctors upon arrival at Hospital.
Reports say that Emary was a keen kayaker and also a member of the Australian women's rafting team.

I believe that it is just sad coincidence that we have had 3 separate kayaking fatalities in Nepal in two months, all on different rivers, and I think all experienced, independent kayakers on non-commercial trips.

Very, very sad and I feel for friends and families.

Peter Knowles, White Water Nepal.

jmmoxon

Re: Another tragic kayaking fatality in Nepal.

Post by jmmoxon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:03 pm

The third was a Spanish paddler on tamba kosi in October. Terrible news.
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

LukeP

Post by LukeP » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 am

Can i ask why you feel the need to share this here?
The information is already up to the public, but serves no benefit by being pushed in to the public eye.
All were tragic accidents so why not leave them be as that?

ion

Post by ion » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:10 am

I've lost way more friends to the river than I have fingers to count. Many of these I learned about promptly via social style media, especially when they occurred in far flung places. This is the nature of the kayaking diaspora and for this information I am thankful.

SPL

Post by SPL » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:42 am

I am certain the BBC wont headline an Australian kayakers tragic death in Nepal but personally its more significant and relevant to me than 90% of their content.
My thoughts are with her family,
From a fellow paddler.

countvoncount

Post by countvoncount » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:32 pm

I met Cass while paddling in Nepal a few years ago--and am shocked to learn of her death. She was a kind, bright, enthusiastic young woman; and she truly loved paddling. 23 is awfully young.
Thanks for posting; it's upsetting to learn about the accident but I'd rather know about it than not.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:20 pm

LukeP wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 am
Can i ask why you feel the need to share this here?
The information is already up to the public, but serves no benefit by being pushed in to the public eye.
All were tragic accidents so why not leave them be as that?
It’s tragic, but it’s also news, it’s relevant to our sport/hobby/pastime & to this forum, as well as serving as a timely reminder of the risks we can sometimes face on the water.

I would prefer to know, than not know about such tragic accidents and appreciate the OP posting it.