Nice vid

Inland paddling
DaveBland

Nice vid

Post by DaveBland » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Here's a great short vid of my fave river. But with someone paddling it like a girl*.

Consider all that goodness is in about a mile long run ;)

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/video ... h-columbia

*ie splendidly.
dave

jmmoxon

Re: Nice vid

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:45 pm

Looks good, but not quite sure what's so exceptional about the video...
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:40 am

jmmoxon wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:45 pm
Looks good, but not quite sure what's so exceptional about the video...
I think the lack of a dramatic sound track is pretty exceptional - just the natural noise of the river (there is one very quiet whoop) enhancing the connection to the river/landscape and excluding the hype that would normally accompany a video like it...

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:03 am

I really liked the lack of soundtrack. Plus the absence of gopro except for a couple of bits to add viewr perspective.
Having paddled it a lot, and seen quite a few vids, it was good to see it from a different angle.
Sweet paddling skills too.
dave

Franky

Post by Franky » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:53 am

I enjoy watching paddling of rivers I can only dream about, and I agree that the absence of a death metal soundtrack is to be applauded! My one gripe is the short cuts. I like to watch paddling videos, wondering what's coming up next. This video switches to the next clip just when you're getting interested in the last one.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:19 am

+1 to everything Franky says.

I notice she put the boat on edge going over every drop. Is that standard technique, to reduce the effect of the stopper and to avoid getting the back end pushed down?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:02 am

Ha! Boat on edgeisstandard technique if in photos or vids and wanna look uber cool. Not required to navigate river without cameras.

Now you say about the editing not showing it all I see what you mean. I guess it is a bit disjointed.

Funnily enough, I was trying to work out where the hell [and why] the seal launch. The normal get in is over the spillway – then I realised it's most likely a bit of footage from elsewhere cut in to avoid Red Bull showing access via a restricted hydro site. But I could be wrong...
dave

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks Dave. I did wonder if that was the reason, but you phrased it much better that I could. So it's like tail whips on a bike and edge grabs on a snowboard. actually, to me it takes something away, instead of "Wow, look at her styling it down that gnarl" I think "it's so easy that she has to show it".

Maybe the seal launch was showboating as well.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:51 am

In theory it gives you more leverage to lift the bow on boofs off ramps, whether it does in practice...
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:11 pm

I enjoyed the vid. I've never really looked at Redbull TV before (outside of Sickline) and was pleased to find lots of other good kayaking vids on there....

Can't have too many vids to watch....

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:22 pm

I've never really taken to this modern creeking and it does seem like a lot of the (video) creekers do throw lot of edge on the lip of drops, but as someone from old skool creeking in playboats I reckon we probably used a bit of edge (maybe less exaggerated) for all the reasons suggested. I only really noticed that I roll on some outside edge to lift the bow when I started paddling boats that don't respond to that - maybe they do if you edge them far enough? Or maybe by changing the plane of the boat you can use your normal rotation to lift/hold the bow instead of having to use an abdominal crunch which tends to restrict your simultaneous rotation? One thing is for sure, I have been flicking edge on landing in boats with low volume stern for more years than I can remember to prevent water piling up on the deck and sending me into a back loop - it was an essential skill for running drops in a squashed spud! I suspect Chris used the technique when running big volume in his Redline C1?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 am
Maybe the seal launch was showboating as well.
Nah, the normal entry is way more exciting...
dave

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:22 pm

I suspect Chris used the technique when running big volume in his Redline C1?
I think I'd worked out that it was worth trying, but by then we'd passed the biggest rapids.