PLB registration - is this a record?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
seawolf856

PLB registration - is this a record?

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 am

I got a lovely new rescueME PLB1 for Christmas last year and registered it on line on boxing day 26/12/17. I have just received my acknowledgement and stickers in the post 11 months later - is this a record?
For the avoidance of doubt, I rang the registry to check that my device had been registered all along and would have worked from the day I did it on line. I was assured that it was and that it would.

andynormancx

Re: PLB registration - is this a record?

Post by andynormancx » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am

Nope. Just got mine, that I registered sometime in autumn last year.

I wasn't expecting any actual paperwork, so I was surprised when it turned up yesterday.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm

The backlog is due to increasing demand on a very old system.
The IT system emails the registrations to a data entry team, who have to type it in to a separate system! It seems mind blowing that this has been going on for years and nobody has hired a programmer to eliminate this step. Perhaps waiting to be part of some big new overall system redesign. No doubt the backlog is increasing as well because they are spending time responding to all the queries about why things are taking so long. Crazy.

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/ ... cons-.aspx

Daker

Post by Daker » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 pm

And meanwhile there are call-outs to PLB / EPIRB activations from devices which are not registered so the owner cannot be traced to confirm if a false alarm.

Like this one recently in Eyemouth -

Last edited by Daker on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:14 pm

andynormancx wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am
Nope. Just got mine, that I registered sometime in autumn last year.

I wasn't expecting any actual paperwork, so I was surprised when it turned up yesterday.
Oh well, I can't even break a record when all I have to do is sit on my ar$e for a year! I knew there was a backlog with 406MHz beacon registrations I was just surprised like Andy when my stuff showed up.

Billy The Fisherman

Post by Billy The Fisherman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Mine took ages when I changed boats in 2016, possibly knocking on for a year. When the confirmation e-mail came it was oddly titled “Beacon registration Ref: Name (Official)”. Despite taking so long to clear in the system, the e-mail stated “Your data should become operationally effective from approximately 20.00 hrs this evening.” Which was very precise after so many months waiting.