Czech Republic for our summer trip?

Inland paddling
d.e.hill

Czech Republic for our summer trip?

Post by d.e.hill » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:50 pm

We’re thinking of heading off the beaten track (slightly) this summer for a club trip. I’m looking into the Czech Republic, but can’t find much info about the WW paddling except:

1. It’s a fairly early season (how early?)
2. There’s a single trip report on here (albeit from 20 years ago)
3. The Devils Extreme Race looks epic, but the river is dam release and very occasional.

So..

1. Any tips/wisdom?
2. Is there a reliable guidebook?
3. Any good resources anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Jim

Re: Czech Republic for our summer trip?

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:54 pm

The Czechs dominate in WWR and slalom, there must be plenty of rivers there!

No idea about guidebooks, certainly not in English, but all the Czechs I know speak pretty good english so you probably just need to track down some paddlers from Czech. There have been a couple in our club, one has returned to Czech, the other I haven't seen for a while, might have finished Uni and gone back too.

You might need a translator to get much from the federation website:
https://www.kanoe.cz/

ion

Post by ion » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:02 pm

I've paddled a lot in the Czech Republic in various seasons. There is natural flow paddling in the Northern Mountains bordering Poland and in the Southern Mountains bordering Germany/Austria that's decent quality. There is also paddling in the those neighboring countries immediately over the borders in the same ranges. However it's very much Winter and Spring for natural flow rivers and a little hit or miss weather dependent like the UK. There is mellow class I-II style beginner paddling at low flows on some of the bigger rivers in the summer thats very friendly and popular And also year round slalom courses in places like Prague. I've paddled at the Devils Extreme race, and it is indeed great fun. I can't recall now if the release was 2 or 3 days. The upper section of the river was I recall something like 3+, and the lower section 4-5 (with one high consequence rapid with a very large sieve river left). The river section below these is a long mellow class 2 from what I remember. No guidebook (in English at least) that I recall, I had a Czech girlfriend so paddled with the locals always.

Devils Extreme race is located on this river section:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Czech ... d15.472962
Which as you can see is very close to a lot of other good Austrian paddling so a combo trip around those dates in August would work well.

Devils Extreme Race Action:

"Locals Only" other releases in summer on ditches are *not* recommended (yes they really are this bad):

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 pm

ion wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:02 pm
And also year round slalom courses in places like Prague.
I seem to recall that one is at least partly covered over - indoor whitewater!

d.e.hill

Post by d.e.hill » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks both. That video. I’ve seen some tree filled ditches in my time, but that was carnage.

I should have said, it’s an **early** summer trip. So what’s running in May/June?