Lomo dry bags^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Zoe Newsam

Lomo dry bags^

Post by Zoe Newsam » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:44 am

Has anyone used them? (regularly, that is.) How much abuse will they take?

It's time for a kit overhaul very soon...

Cheers,
Zoe

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:44 am

Hi Zoe,

Seeing as you are a regular contributor to the guidebook, if you PM me with your address then I will send you a drybag and then you can tell me what you think of it.

This is one of our newest products and has been reviewed in several conditions with great success and we are keen to hear everybodys opinions.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 am

I have one - seems absolutely fine, although over time I'll ascertain it's durability.

They are so ridiculously cheap that you could buy a pile of them for the price of an Ortlieb bag, anyway.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

councildog

Post by councildog » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:04 pm

Have you got plenty smaller size dry bags in stock bruce
5-10-20lt ones
and wheres your shop near/anything big like tisos ?

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:34 pm

Yes we stock 5lt,12lt,20lt,40lt,60lt and 100lt bags in the shop.

We are in the west end on Crow road just down from Jordanhill Station.

This is a link to Multimap

link

Cheers

Skerryvore

Post by Skerryvore » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:42 pm

Hi visited shop last week and they let me take my bike into a packed shop with lots of gear,which was good.

Bought 5 & 12 & 20 lt and used them last weekend and think there fantastic.

Buy them before there all gone !

Cheers
Alan

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:54 pm

Excellent- I'll do that Bruce. Thanks very much!

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:58 pm

Zoe,

Have been using the black Lomo drybags since the start of the year. No problems with them apart from the material becomes very stiff and not so pliable in very cold weather (i.e. snow on the ground) ;-) Think after a period of extended use the material would become more pliable.

The material used in the construction of the black drybags appears to be very robust (its very similar to cordura - outer fabric) but the clear strip of thick plastic (window) would be where the bags might get damaged from rocks, grit, etc rubbing and making 'pin' holes. However because of the grade of plastic used it would take a lot in my opinion to damage / puncture the bags in comparison to say a standard weight nylon based material drybag.

In summary - hard wearing & excellent value for money.

CaileanMac

Jim

Alternative directions

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:06 pm

If you can only navigate by outdoor shops, the nearest is Cotswold. From there you go up Crow road (uphill), over the traffic lights and it's in the second parade of shops on the left. About 10 minutes walk for me, probably the same from Cotswold :)

Not tried the dry bags yet but have 2 wetsuits for kitesurfing (they are great) and a pair of windstopper gloves, again for kitesurfing but I may try them for sea kayaking! I also buy replacement seals and glue from Lomo - it's brilliant having a good little shop like that so close!

JIM

RichardCree

Post by RichardCree » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:11 pm

Bags are good!

foxy

Post by foxy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:50 pm

I bought some a while ago - they are great!!! I tend to be quite rough with kit and wore out the nylon ones in no time, these seem to be handling the abuse really well, and as you say cheap as well. I would certainly recommend them, and the service was first rate too!
Nemo Malus Felix

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:45 am

Bruce wrote:Hi Zoe,

Seeing as you are a regular contributor to the guidebook, if you PM me with your address then I will send you a drybag and then you can tell me what you think of it.

This is one of our newest products and has been reviewed in several conditions with great success and we are keen to hear everybodys opinions.
Received one of each kind of their dry bags in the post yesterday- there's service for you!

They should get a fair bit of use in the next few weeks, so I'll report back on how they do- thanks Bruce :0)

Zoe

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Glad you got them ok. We always appreciate feedback on our products so don't hold back!

Cheers

RichardCree

Post by RichardCree » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:59 pm

Why dont you do them in pink???

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:36 pm

Your having a laugh :-)

Though I can see you with pink kit!

Zoe Newsam

The verdict...

Post by Zoe Newsam » Tue May 02, 2006 8:12 pm

Used the 2 drybags that Bruce kindly sent me on our Lundy trip this weekend- very good.

I haven't used them extensively yet, so I guess we'll wait and see on that front, but so far I'm very impressed- they're great value for money. I particularly liked the carry-strap idea on the heavy duty version- came in really handy for lugging bags up to the campsite on the top of the island!!

I'll report back at the end of the summer on how they stand up to a bit more extended use.

Zoe

scoobywrx

Re: Lomo dry bags^

Post by scoobywrx » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:59 pm

From the comments, it was looking like the Lomo bags were performing really well. Now a few years later, how are they doing?

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 pm

My Lomo bag recently died. Bear in mind that it was used, just about every day for 6 years! It has been abused so badly, I aint no weekend'er. A wet wetsuit will sit in it, all salty all day in the car till I get home. Fantastic stuff. Have to say the same for their wetsuits. Bought one years ago as a backup - was more comfortable than my sponsors suits. Will be the suits I wear when my O'neil deal ends! Bloody good stuff Lomo.

John W

Post by John W » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Bruce wrote:Your having a laugh :-)
There's nowt wrong with pink!

Madsalty

Post by Madsalty » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:25 pm

I've had my lomo drybag for nearly a year now. I've taken no prisoners and I've used and abused it, yet I can confirm it is still fully water tight and despite being a bit muddy hasn't really got any signs of wear. Spot on really.

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:30 pm

I bought one of the small black drybags roughly 2 years ago. It's been used pretty much constantly since, both for work and play. Probably use it at least 3 days a week, in a boat or rucksack. So far it hasn't leaked, nor are there any signs of obvious wear. I will certainly be buying more of these.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Personally I didn't rate the Lomo bag I tried...more details here:

http://www.sesk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... 15&start=2
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

sleepybubble

Post by sleepybubble » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:36 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:Personally I didn't rate the Lomo bag I tried...more details here:

I read your little review, I too am of the opinion that most bags are of the splash proof variety and not dry bags at all. I have not tried Lomo ones though so cannot comment on them. Ortlieb, summit to sea, Exped have all leaked on me. I had holed both hatches and the cockpit at the time and the bags were submerged for a good 15 minutes. I've taken to double bagging certain stuff, on the basis that they do reduce ingress, but I would never trust any bag to be a 'dry' one.

Mark

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Watershed bags - not cheap but watertight.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

andya

Post by andya » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:27 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:Personally I didn't rate the Lomo bag I tried...more details here:

For clarity were you testing the "budget" RF Welded red Lomo bags?

I've found the Red "Heavy Duty" and the Black with Window to be "Bomber" .. surviving use as Air bags without problem.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 pm

it's the lightweight ones (0.7, 3 and 10 litre models) that I was using.
I think that's a "yes"....
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

I use the 5l black-with-window ones all the time, excellent bit of kit, last for years and are easily repaired with a bit of duct tape if you are too rough with them on a long trip. Many bags of this weight fail because you get spots of that black mould which seems to eat through the waterproofing, never a sign of mould on the Lomo, despite sitting around damp from time to time. They set the standard for other manufacturers.

The lightweight rf welded ones I have found no better or worse than other (much more expensive) lightweight bags. Lifespan is limited.

The heavy duty somewhat rubbery type with D rings are good in the Summer, but stiff in winter. I found them susceptible to being damaged by forcing them through narrow hatches in Winter. Should be excellent for use in open boats etc. where forcing them round corners with sharp edges does not occur.

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

I got one of the red HD ones and the female buckle split when I accidentally trod on it.
It still works, but looking at it closely the buckle quality isnt as good as the ones on my Macpac tents or rucksacks.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Mikebelluk wrote:I got one of the red HD ones and the female buckle split when I accidentally trod on it.
It still works, but looking at it closely the buckle quality isnt as good as the ones on my Macpac tents or rucksacks.
I have four of the smaller/smallest ones, which are doing good duty apart from a similar (but in my case random AFAIK) failure along the moulding 'seam' of one female buckle which makes the buckle latching very loose. The buckles do seem as if they may be the weak point of the design - but I still consider overall that the bags are excellent value at the price - much better for paddling duties (as opposed, say, to rucksac lining use) than the more expensive (?) Exped bags.
Dave Thomas

scoobywrx

Post by scoobywrx » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks for all the comments, on balance it sounds like they are good value for money and fortunately they offer a range of performance vs price options.

Where people have suggested double bagging, does this mean the use of a dry bag inside a dry bag?

Caledonian Trip begins in... 81 days :-)