How do I re-proof a drysuit?

Inland paddling
banzer

How do I re-proof a drysuit?

Post by banzer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:57 pm

I take it you can't wash it / tumble it with Granger's? Must admit I'm at work and could probably go home and read the label - but the hive mind might have some good tips... thanks.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Mrstratos61

Re: How do I re-proof a drysuit?

Post by Mrstratos61 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:42 pm

I put in bath with grangers hand hot and use a sponge on bad stains . They do a reproofing bottle that doesn't need the heat activation. Dry any latex and leave on a coat hanger over bath to air dry. Worked on Palm cag and Typhoon drysuit

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Send it back to Kokatat for the love it deserves.
Unless you didn't buy Kokatat, in which case leave it skanky to look like the hardcore, van living, scumbag paddler you would be in an parallel universe.
dave

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:52 pm

I can't help with chemical re-proofing as I've never had any success with it, whether it be on tents, motorbike clothing or drysuits/cags. However, it's worth investigating whether you've got individual holes in your suit, as opposed to the material going porous. I've been buying used military drysuits over the past couple of years, and the test paddle often leaves you generally damp, giving you the impression that the water is just seeping through the material. However, I then dry them, fill them with water and look to see where the outside of the suit is getting wet, and this has revealed anywhere between 1 and 6 individual pinprick holes. Once these are patched, the suits are bone dry again. NB - I only find this works with high quality suits, made of something like goretex. If it's a rubbish fabric or the seam sealing is a bit Mickey Mouse, then it's not worth the effort - they'll always leak.

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:21 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 pm
......... the hardcore, van living, scumbag paddler you would be in an parallel universe.
...hardcore, van living, scumbag paddler you secretly wish you were? :)
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

ion

Post by ion » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm

banzer wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:21 pm
DaveBland wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 pm
......... the hardcore, van living, scumbag paddler you would be in an parallel universe.
...hardcore, van living, scumbag paddler you secretly wish you were? :)
I'm fairly offended by the characterization that as a proud Kokatat drysuit owner I'm not a hardcore, truck living, scumbag paddler. The odor in my gear room begs to prove otherwise. The ~20% patched factory exterior of said drysuit only re-enforces my street cred.

bouncyboatbloke

Post by bouncyboatbloke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:47 pm

PlymouthDamo wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:52 pm
I can't help with chemical re-proofing as I've never had any success with it, whether it be on tents, motorbike clothing or drysuits/cags. However, it's worth investigating whether you've got individual holes in your suit, as opposed to the material going porous. I've been buying used military drysuits over the past couple of years, and the test paddle often leaves you generally damp, giving you the impression that the water is just seeping through the material. However, I then dry them, fill them with water and look to see where the outside of the suit is getting wet, and this has revealed anywhere between 1 and 6 individual pinprick holes. Once these are patched, the suits are bone dry again. NB - I only find this works with high quality suits, made of something like goretex. If it's a rubbish fabric or the seam sealing is a bit Mickey Mouse, then it's not worth the effort - they'll always leak.
Sorry, I read that and was brought to mind of the old Laurel and Hardy sketch where they are going to go into the fishing business, and boat sourced decide the best way to check for any leaks is to fill the whole boat with water, with the inevitable hilareous consequences.
Seriously though, I presume you mean a limb at a time to be filled with water!
I have used the fabsil [ £5.00 a tin ] spray from Screwfix with some limited results.
Mike

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:52 pm

Yep, shouldn't have said fill the suit with water. I just block off the neck and wrists and pour about an arm full (Hancock reference there to match your Laurel and Hardy) and zip it up. Then you can slosh it around inside the suit to find all the holes.

boosh

Post by boosh » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:34 pm

The way I have been keeping my Typhoon MS3 running perfectly for 9 years is a delicate wash in the washing machine inside and out.
Let it dry completely before painting (with a brush) a good coating of Fabsil Gold all over the outside of it. With 2 or 3 coats on the socks.
Keeps the water beading off all winter season.
I think Fabsil Gold is more heavy duty than standard Fabsil. It comes in 1 Litre tins. Get mine from Go Outdoors think it is about 10 - 15quid.
Never found Nikwax or Graingers work very well and the fabric wets out really quickly.
Using Fabsil seems to keep me drier inside even though everyone says your suit will not be breathable anymore (I have doubts to whether it was at the beginning anyway)
Pete